​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wildcamping pitches, Glen Avon?

From memory, I've never spotted any particularly good pitches between Faindouran Lodge and Linn of Avon. Both Faindouran and Linn of Avon are good (Glen Builg is even better). Perhaps someone else knows better

Recommend you push on the the head of Glen Builg, where there is a lovely half mile or so with suitable places to camp. If going that way and making good time, there are a few spots near the south end of Loch Builg near the ruins.

What they said.

There are some areas near the bothy.
But better to crack on.
Depending on route.
If coming from Aviemore, don't go down to the Fords of Avon.
Cut across over the Bealach between the 748 & 797 points & there is a reasonable route that lands you on Fiandhoran both.
Saves a lot of time.

Andy is right about the short cut. However, the walk from the Fords of Avon to Faindouran is very pleasant if you've got time.

Lindy, I have to agree with Kirsten. Although I walked past the GR you mention, this year, I wasn't really looking for a camping spot at that time and I can't remember what was there. I had a terrible pitch at the East end of Glen Avon then in the morning found that Glen Builg was heavenly!

So I can't answer your question but if you're going to push on further along Glen Avon keep going into Glen Builg if you want somewhere nice to camp.

Agreeing with Kirsten and Judith. From Faindouran Lodge through Linn of Dee the ground is tussocky and slopes sharply. If you do find yourself needing to pitch as The Drakness draws in, then NJ 154 069 is OK. North side of the river, west side of the bridge. Good pitch, tho' when I was there I'd to contend with a westerly gale funnelling down the glen! Further on, by the bridge at Linn of Avon, the wind will hit you from all directions.

Many thanks to all. Some good advice here. Getting really excited - shame I have to wait till May!

My pitch up Glen Builg back in 2007

2007 - you have indeed dug back through to find that one! Many thanks. I have transferred your suggested 'short cut' onto my map - looks very do-able. I think cutting that distance (although there is some climbing involved) will enable me to push a bit further on in order to get to Glen Builg.