​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dinner in Montrose

I'm finding it difficult to book accommodation in Montrose, so a back up option for me would be to stay somewhere like Stonehaven and use the train to get to/from the dinner (the last train from Montrose leaves about a quarter to midnight). However, what are the timings are the dinner? What time does it start / end?

I have to confess, when I do long distance walks I get very tired and I'm generally asleep by 10pm so I probably won't be much company!

Re: Dinner in Montrose

Hi Paul,

Firstly, do be aware that not everyone makes it across the wilds of northern Caledonia, so towards the end of week two it may be worthwhile phoning the Park Hotel to see if there's been a cancellation. Also, quite a lot of folk camp at Montrose (not me, I return to my normal Lotus Eating mode on arrival, so you'll have to look elsewhere for advice on that).

As regards the dinner, my memory of these events is a trifle hazy but the general form is to let Control know that you want a place when you give your last phone in (this aids the hotel - and you, as I think numbers are restricted to around 180) and pay for the ticket at reception once you've arrived and signed in.

Generally the seating takes place from 7:00pm for 7:30pm start. You'll be able to slope off well before 11:30 for a scamper to the railway station ... unless you fall into bad company. Should that be the case, various hotel bedroom floors/corridors/broom cupboards are available.

My guess is that after signing in you'll meet a few like minded souls in the bar to share a table with. So just relax & enjoy. You'll have earned it.

If I've got anything badly wrong, no doubt someone will be along to correct me!

Found accommodation in Arbroath. Maybe a reasonable option to escape the rather tricky accommodation situation in Montrose.

There´s good public transport by bus or train between Montrose and Arbroath so no worries about getting lost after the sophisticated dinner party in the Park ...

Sophisticated?

Maybe my memory failed me ...

Markus Petter
Maybe my memory failed me ...

I think it must have