​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Do these bridges still exist?

It is indeed illegal to trespass on a railway line, though a custodial sentence is unusual for a first offence. Perhaps an exception could be made for lawyers. The railway authorities in Scotland have been unhelpful in facilitating access to the hills, and have even deployed gendarmes at this popular crossing point in Glen Lochy.

As JD so rightly points out, this railway crossing in Glen Lochay has for many years been the bone of some contention between walkers and Network Rail. Some measures have been put in place to lower the water level in the underpass, but it still a very tight squeeze (I imagine )

Just for your information:

Alex Sharkey, Network Rail area director for the East of Scotland, said: “Trespassing on the railway is both illegal and incredibly dangerous. ...(We) will always seek to prosecute anyone caught trespassing on the railway at this location or elsewhere.”

Constable Mike Tunney, of British Transport Police, said: “(These improvements) will undoubtedly help address any temptation on the part of walkers accessing Scotland’s hills at this location to break the law by trespassing, which not only puts them and others in real danger, but also risks a criminal record and being fined up to £1000.”

So now you know.

Thanks everyone. Lochy sounds problematic - may need to look at the alternatives for a viable FWA then. It may have to be the main road / military road through Glen Lochy ... yuck!

Tummel is good news, however. What's a pain is that it is right at the edge of the map and difficult to discern what the path in the trees does on the North bank. If I turn right, the path follows the river and drops off the bottom of LR43 at NN 905600, alongside the pylon line, and then another path climbs back up the hill from NN 906600 and connects with the main path through the woods and up to Garry Bridge. I am ASSUMING that these two paths must connect to one another; but LR 52 doesn't show ANY evidence of either path!!

Can anyone who has walked round here comment on whether these paths connect or, if they don't, how dense the planting in these woods is and how easy it should be to force a way through? The alternative of course is to turn left at the bridge onto what appears to be a path under the blue number 90 which I assume (but again, it is difficult to judge from the map) links to the track up to the road, when it is just a little over a kilometer of road walking to the Garry Bridge.