​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice for 1st timers

I'm finding it difficult to book accommodation in Montrose, so a back up option for me would be to stay somewhere like Stonehaven and use the train to get to/from the dinner (the last train from Montrose leaves about a quarter to midnight). However, what are the timings are the dinner? What time does it start / end?

I have to confess, when I do long distance walks I get very tired and I'm generally asleep by 10pm so I probably won't be much company!

Jeremy, could you tell me more about the hunk houses? Id really like to find at least a couple of them. :sunglasses:

Good luck on your crossing! Some excellent advice so far and some excellent blogs contain pages and pages of information on things like food, gear and so on and so forth, so I won't duplicate that.

Most important in my opinion:

- Psychology/attitude.

If you start the endeavour thinking you won't finish then it will be an uphill struggle on the wet, crap days when you are hurting. If you are uncertain, think what things you need to do in order to make sure you do. Maybe build in some social hubs to your route to meet other Challengers to boost your morale? Consider packing certain foods which always lifts your spirits, or even planning a pub meal after an especially difficult couple of days. Perhaps you'd like to drop in to a certain whisky distillery for a dram or two en-route?

- Gear

Loads of blogs on this. Try to trim it down if possible, but number one is always you're comfortable in expected conditions and you've used it before taking it. I wouldn't want to be caught with a new backpack and forcing myself to walk 200 miles with it after I realised by mile 30 that the hip belt is rubbish and chafes me, for example.

- Food

Dehydrated food is useful. I put together my breakfasts and dehydrated all my evening meals last year with a dehydrator, and frankly it was quite the hassle and not as cost effective as I expected it to be. I'd recommend Basecampfoods or similar, removes the hassle, lets you have variety and they do offer split shipping for the challenge. I took 7 days of food with a weight of 3kg but I'm told this strategy is the exception, with most bringing 3-5 days and restocking from small shops.

- Feet

Be proactive in managing your feet. This isn't moot for those choosing an easier route, either. I passed people who did 3 days of low level walking at a slow pace and still managed to ruin their feet by day 4. This will have a significant impact on the enjoyment of your crossing so it's worth getting right.

Lastly, plan what -you- will enjoy. Some people love leisurely long days, take loads of pictures and stop at pubs whenever they can; some are in the middle of the hills and flying up and down mountains - there is no 'right' way.