​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where to camp near between Kinlochhourn and Fort Augustus

Help required for a first timer please. We will be walking from Kinlochhourn to Fort Augustus and wondered if anyone knew of a good spot to camp at the half-ish way point. Thanks in advance. Howard

Re: Where to camp near between Kinlochhourn and Fort Augustus

There is a huge stretch of ground between your two points. A few clues as to which places you are aiming for would give Challengers a bit more information to go on. Also how far you plan to walk in a day as, depending on the line you take, there is some very rough country between the two. In a straight line (no such thing in the Highlands really) it is about 40+km between the two. I'll kick off with NH179014, right by the loch side.

Peter Goddard
I'll kick off with NH179014, right by the loch side.

I have stayed there, Peter, at your recommendation. A really excellent spot, thank you.

Depends on which route you are taking but

1) There is a very good campsite, marked on the map, at Faichem NH286017.

2) There is a reasonable spot by Loch Quoich at NH049020

3) If you are going via Glen Quoich there are several reasonable spots from Alltbeithe onwards along Easter Glen Quoich burn

Thanks a lot. We will be walking from Kinloch Hourn along the single track road towards Tomdoun and then head south to Greenfield and along to Invergarry. So your recommendation for the spot by loch Quoixh sounds good. I did look at Faixhem but it seemed a bit far in a day. Maybe I should reconsider.

That's a lot of road walking Howard; I hope your feet bear up better than mine did when I walked the length of Loch Arkaig on my first challenge.
The blisters went eventually but it did mar the first week and forced me into a route revision. At the first slightest sign of a hotspot now its boots off and a change into fresh socks!

Phil
Thanks. I'm a little worried about the road walking too. Do you have any good alternative routes to get from Kinloch Hourn to Fort Augustus ? Any help would be very much appreciated. Regards. Howard

The question that springs to my mind, I have to say, is why you're going via Kinlochourn if you're aiming at Fort Augustus (or, put anohter way, why you're aiming for Fort Aggie if you'er passing through Kinlochourn).

It may be that your best way of avoiding all that roadwork on the way to Fort Augustus is NOT to go through Kinlochourn. Sometimes fairly radical route revisions are needed to overcome issues like this (on my First Challenge, I submitted a route from Oban to Montrose; in response to my vetters' comments I made a few revisions, and ended up with a route from Mallaig to Montrose. This is not, however, normal ... )

From Kinloch Hourn you could go NE to Wester Glen Quoich - Easter Glen Quoich - cross the River Loyne - Tomdoun - cross Loch Garry, there's a bridge :-) - Greenfield - towards Invergarry - Loch Lundie - Fort Augustus.