​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Challenge Addiction

For anyone who is new to the Challenge, be warned - it gets to be one of those events you keep coming back to.

This is a piece I wrote back in December last year.

And, yes, I've applied for 2016.

http://aktovate1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/tgo-2015-how-to-feed-habit.html

Re: Challenge Addiction

Not sure about that Gordon.

Jeremy in a little black number (see other post) could make some wish they had avoided their fried breakfast.v

I don't agree with you about the disappointment of not getting the pointy bits. I look on my high days as a good weather alternative and my FWA as the main route. In my early Challenges I planned the high stuff first and ended up spending far too much time road walking due to foul weather. These days I assume the weather won't be so good and plan an enjoyable low level route and add high days after. Planning this way means I look on the high stuff as a bonus. I've had great Challenges when I've only managed to get up one hill and it wasn't on my route sheet. Before anyone tells me off I should add I let control know what I was doing when I add on the hill.

As for the Challenge being addictive all I can say is this. My name is Ian and I'm a TGO Challenge addict.

Ian C.

Ian C.
I don't agree with you about the disappointment of not getting the pointy bits. I look on my high days as a good weather alternative and my FWA as the main route. In my early Challenges I planned the high stuff first and ended up spending far too much time road walking due to foul weather. These days I assume the weather won't be so good and plan an enjoyable low level route and add high days after. Planning this way means I look on the high stuff as a bonus. I've had great Challenges when I've only managed to get up one hill and it wasn't on my route sheet. Before anyone tells me off I should add I let control know what I was doing when I add on the hill.

As for the Challenge being addictive all I can say is this. My name is Ian and I'm a TGO Challenge addict.

Ian C.

I totally agree with you Ian.

I have been ambitious for 6 Challenges so far - I've enjoyed every one, but, pointy bits are low on the completed list.

Maybe this year....

It certainly is addictive.

On completing my first Challenge in 2004 I was greeted by Roger when I rolled into Control (how did Roger know my name when we'd never met?).

After the congratulatory bit he asked me if I'd come back and do another one. My answer to him: 'Try and keep me away'.

Even on the odd times that I've not been able to take part I've managed to get up for a few days to join in the fun.

My name is John and I'm a Challenge addict...and proud of it.

Try to keep me away

As far as I'm concerned Challenge addiction is an illusion. An addiction is something you do regularly and cannot give up. I've missed 8 Challenges in the past 35 years so I don't think Challenge addiction has gripped me.

Peter Goddard
As far as I'm concerned Challenge addiction is an illusion. An addiction is something you do regularly and cannot give up. I've missed 8 Challenges in the past 35 years so I don't think Challenge addiction has gripped me.

Hmmm. Stride 1 of the Twelve Strides reads "We admitted we were powerless over The Challenge - that our lives had become unmanageable."

Challenge addiction is a whole-life condition. "I don't think Challenge addiction has gripped me." is a common response from those known in the community as "Dry Challengers"

Wearing Crocs in daily life is a common indicator.

John J

After the congratulatory bit he asked me if I'd come back and do another one. My answer to him: 'Try and keep me away'.

Whereas my response was to politely not really answer the question! There was NO WAY I was going to do it again. Everything hurt. I was exhausted. I'd never done anything so challenging before. However, by the time the October issue came out I'd started to wonder what it would take to have an easier, more enjoyable crossing. I'm not really sure what happened next ..... but it seems to have become a habit now!

Ooooh, you held out longer then I did, Judith.

I finished my first Challenge in 2000 and vowed "Never Again!". (There's a cabin cruiser on the River Ouse that I saw in Ely once, called "Never Again II" ... I think I understand how the owner feels!!)

The train hdn't quite got as far as Arbroath, before I was thinking "Hmmmm ... maybe next time it would be noce to do ..."