​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mount Keen to Mount Battock

Hi,

Many thanks to everyone for their useful information and advice . I'd looked at the satellite images before, but nothing beats reports from people who've walked that way before!

In the end I've decided to go for it, with a long day planned from Shiel of Glentanar to Glen Dye. And I've decided to take in Clachnaben too - it looks like a great hill .

Now I've just got to hope for dry and clear weather. I suspect navigation will be tricky in places if the cloud is down!

Alistair

Alistair Pooler
I suspect navigation will be tricky in places if the cloud is down!

Alistair

You need Lord Elpus's SatMuppet. It told us exactly where we were this year when the cloud was down and the rain was bouncing off our coats and running into our socks: The Wrong Hill.

The wrong hill

Indeed, Al. I've decided to get rid of the blessed thing as it persistently insists that I am not where I wish to be.

OMG. Right now it says that I'm in a dismal place called Grantham.

One of the highlights of my first challenge was leaving Tarfside climbing up to the ridge that encompasses Mt Battock and, ultimately, Clachnaben. A bit of lunar, or certainly alien-looking landscape, with the peat hags and sand. Like nothing else I' ve experienced on the Challenge, before or since, and certainly well worth it.

As to water, had I carried water up there would have been innumerable places to pitch but I ended up in the Fetteresso instead, shortening my last day to Dunnottar Castle. Another highlight was my introduction to Graeme and Marion Dunsire, every year we seem to come across one another in the most unlikely of places.......I wonder where it will be in 2016.