​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: electronic maps of the net (download)

Hi Stephan,

I'm not aware of any free Ordnance Survey maps, but for fine detail in small areas I find the Forestry commission maps good although a bit slow to use. They are usually up-to-date and helpful at the greatest magnification when checking paths. See: http://maps.forestry.gov.uk/imf/imf.jsp?site=fcscotland_ext&

Another useful site is "Where's the Path" which uses ordnance survey maps alongside a photographic aerial view.

See: http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Good luck,

Kirsten

Thanks for that i will check it out later

Stefan

Nothing for free that I know of, but you could have a look at GROUGH ROUTE

For a modest fee you have unlimited access to OS 1:50000 & 1:25000 mapping - plus you can plot routes and have distance, ascent etc all calculated for you. And you can print out the maps with your routes.

Worth a look.

Or for something you can keep available offline Memory Map are offering OS Landranger 1:50000 mapping for the whole of the UK for £60.00 - see HERE. You can load it onto up to 5 devices, so you can have it on your PC & phone, and transfer your route to the phone to use it as a gps with your position marked on a real map when needed.

There is also Routebuddy which a lot of challengers seem to like, but as an early adopter of memory map I'm happy enough with the MM product.

Hope this helps.

I second Phil's recommendation of Grough Route. I've used it to plan routes for the last few years. It allows gpx export and printing.

I also use OS maps (1:25000 and 1:50000) on Bing Maps quite a bit too, but as far as I know there's no route planning facilities.

Alistair

Thanks everyone Im on grough now it's quite cheap so I'll plan a few bits on that