​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Getting To Torridon

Hi Nick,

Really can recommend John McCormack. (Email: enquiries@seethehighlands.com)
We shared a 6-seater between the 5 of us from Inverness to Torridon paying GBP 85,00

After quite some research this appeared to bee the cheapest possibility.

He is offering this as well:

"If you are arriving by train or bus from Inverness I do a fixed price of £45.00 from Achnasheen train station via Kinlochewe to Torridon or you can stay on the train to Strathcarron were I will meet you and take the scenic coastal route via Kishorn and Shieldaig to Torridon either way the price is £45.00"

John is a nice guy and very reliable.

Where are you travelling from Nick?

A couple of years ago, with plenty of time to spare, I travelled by bus to Kyle of Lochalsh from Fort William I think, picked up the train to Strathcarron, then spent a couple of leisurely days walking into Torridon.

It was a very pleasant way to ease myself into the Challenge.

Well I'll be setting off from Birmingham.

I'm looking at getting the sleeper train from Crewe to Inverness.

Yet to look at getting the train to Fort William and doing it that way.

It seems i read the timetable wrong anyway, i would be able to get the later train from Inverness to Strathcarron. Wouldn't mind the walk either, depending on the weather.

I'll have to try and find some other challengers starting from Torridon and see if they want to get a taxi or anything.

Thanks everyone for the information, great help!

Nick, I have not checked the updated bus timetables but when I had a Torridon start in 2011 I got the sleeper to Inverness, the train to Strathcarron and the bus to Shieldaig. Some buses went all the way to Torridon but some only as far as Shieldaig. The (6 or 7 miles?) walk from Shieldaig to Torridon was very pleasant and meant that I felt I was making better use of my time rather than hanging around (or rushing) for transport links.