​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: River crossings above Glomach Falls

Emma and I crossed with no problems this year just above the confluence https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/tgo-challenge-2015-day-1/

As long as it's not in spate, it shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks Robin! A picture's worth a lot on these questions and your pictures make the crossing look quite a reasonable.

BTW on yr blog there's ads for Sony RX100 mk2 and mk3 from John Lewis. Is this your camera of choice? I bought one specially for the challenge last year and was very happy with the pictures but once it got damp on the Sunday it no longer worked. Sony eventually told me it was 'beyond economic repair'!

best regards

Paul

Hi Paul , I use Sony , it works . It is not advertised as weather-proof . Perhaps you should check . waterproof units are available . The bottom line is do you accept there quality and the limitations of poor weather for photography .

I do have a RX100 mk1 which I bought at a reduced price from the Sony outlet shop. It takes excellent pictures, however a number of people have had failures so maybe it wasn't such a good buy! On the Challenge, I used a Sony WX100 which takes good pictures and is very small. On wet days it stayed in a dry bag and I used my iPhone. My iPhone has a waterproof Lifeproof Fre case and takes adequate photos. I've been tempted to get a waterproof camera but yet to find one that I'm totally happy with. Ultimately, that's probably the best option.

The adverts that appear on Wordpress are not under my control and are the function of a free hosting service. My blog is totally unsponsored and non-commercial. I have no desire to benefit financially from it. I've even started to turn down offers of free gear as most aren't really what I want to use.

Just echoing what Robin says, past the obvious confluence looked a very reasonable place to cross. I was able to cross just fine in April this year closer to the falls using some big boulders:

Click for photo

Thanks Gary for the info and picture!