​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gear list for the 2016 The Great Outdoors Challenge

Bet he's got the Christmas sprouts on too.

How anyone can have a kit list before the Wednesday night of Challenge start week is lost on me. There is so much new winter kit, and then spring kit to come out to tempt us before May anyway. Gordon is losing it

I will not be buying any more gear before the Challenge!

Maybe this wouldn't be the best time to mention my base weight (without 3 days of food and water) is 9.8 pounds (4390 grams) and that includes 448 grams of gear for charging electronics in Scotland!

Craig Gulley
Maybe this wouldn't be the best time to mention my base weight (without 3 days of food and water) is 9.8 pounds (4390 grams) and that includes 448 grams of gear for charging electronics in Scotland!

Here is a link to the list
http://lighterpack.com/r/cv586i

Craig Gulley

Allowing for one or two zeros, this is a very good list. Not sure I would feel as comfortable with it, but all gear lists are personal.

Two items I have never found the need for are headnet and water purification system.

Gordon Green
Craig Gulley

Allowing for one or two zeros, this is a very good list. Not sure I would feel as comfortable with it, but all gear lists are personal.

Two items I have never found the need for are headnet and water purification system.

I find that traveling in a different country it is always wise to purify as there can just be differences in the water borne impurities you are used to
The bug net will probably stay home and I will probably bring the 100 weight fleece
This is pretty much my 3 season list no matter what except i will normally use a hammock and tarp most places I go
Thanks

Hi Gordon,

good to see a kit list, I enjoy seeing what others are packing. What is your wet feet solution, do u just walk until your feet dry out? I ask as im back on the fence for the choice of shoes over boots and GTX over non GTX. Mark

I've used La Sportiva shoes - Raptors and Wildcats on the Challenge. Both have been great. I may still use them, but I found the Innov8 290 shoes in the cupboard - they are years old but hardly used. They are GTX, but I used a pair in 2008 (not on Challenge) and found them comfy. (The current 290s were a free replacement for some slight damage to the original pair).

It took me a while to convert to trail shoes, but, they are great. Wet feet are inevitable and when walking in non-lined trail shoes they are still comfortable. I have got them wet and finished the day with dry feet.

Promise???? no cheating now, no saying you just got it for doing other hills!