​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Orrin Reservoir

Vanessa,

Have done the route from Luipmaldrig to Orrin twice, the first in 1996 when I recall it being a bit of a nightmare from a little east of the bridge as far as the w end of the reservoir with frequent areas of saturated bog and frequent diversions around very large areas of standing water plus large areas of knee deep heather. The water level that year was low and I managed to walk along the boulder-strewn beach(?) littered with otter(?)tracks but it was very slow going indeed. I managed to cross the Allt na Criche without any difficulty and with steam -driven map and compass managed to locate the old path at roughly NH354484 then onwards to pitch beside the pipeline E of the concrete hydro building.

I did the same route again in 2007 and the leg between the bridge and the reservoir had "changed" as it was then a very pleasant, often grassy, but still requiring minor water diversions, jaunt to the reservoir end. That year the water level was exceptionally low and it was posible the see the remains of field dykes, and what looked like building remains. This time I stayed a little higher up the hillside along the reservoir but it was still exceptionally slow going. Again no problems with the Allt na Criche but even with GPS this time I was unable to locate the old path and simply headed up towards the saddle between Creag Bhainne and Creagna-h-Iolai where the path coming in from the left at 463484 was easily found and which becomes an obvious but very sodden path all the way to the old hydro building which was open on both of the visits.

Ian Shiel once told me that he had once crossed the R. Orrin at its arrival point into the reservoir after walking the N bank from the bothy.

Hope this helps abit,

Colin