​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tarf Water route to Glen Tilt

Does anyone know what it's like underfoot walking east from the head of Glen Bruar (NN818804) by Allte a Chuil and Tarf Water to Glen Tilt at the Bedford Bridge (NN983797)? In particular does it have much difficult bog and/or heather. On the map it's shown as mostly pathless but not very boggy. SMC guide says its a wonderful wild area. Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks

Re: Tarf Water route to Glen Tilt

I walked this way on TGO2015 and it's a wonderfully remote part of the world. Going up from Glen Bruar there's a reasonably defined path on the north side of the burn but it fades out as you approach the watershed. It's a complicated watershed as the headwaters of several burns meet there and it's easy to get seduced towards Glen Mhairc among the peat groughs. I remember being able to keep my feet reasonably dry but also having to use my phone app to confirm my grid reference for the only time on my crossing.
Once you've confirmed that you're following the Tarf it's a long and steady though pathless walk (sometimes close to the burn side sometimes above it where the banks have collapsed) until you approach 'Tarf Hotel'. At some point then you'll want to cross to the north bank (I did so by the wooden stable in 9579) so as to follow a path down to Tarf Falls - a path that's not always as clear as you might expect and the only heather-bashing I found on this leg. Plenty of good camp spots on the way down to Tarf Hotel but not much once you've crossed to the north side. One of my best days in 2015.

I went that way in 2009, but coming at it from the west, from Gaick Lodge, rather than Bruar, but east to Bedford Bridge as you are planning.

The first part was the most difficult: steep (as you can see from the contour lines) and heathery without a defined path, but lots of tracks. The watershed was far less boggy than many I have experienced and, once we had reached the Tarf, it was reasonable going along the river (we went behind Tom Liath). We stopped at the Tarf Hotel for the night and crossed immediately afterwards where it was broad and shallow.

We didn't find it particularly enjoyable because it was very wet with very low cloud, but the terrain was not difficult to manage.

This is a very wonderful piece of ground, and well worth the effort! I've been over a couple of times - it's relatively easy walking. If you're heading north afterwards up to White Bridge then you may wish to stay on the 500m contour once you reach NN 880 800. This will bring you around to NN 992 811, avoiding steep ground to your right. Another option is to continue NNE to Loch Tilt - but be aware that the ground here is exceedingly wet and boggy!

As Vanessa says, the first section is the hardest - you have to cross and recross the Allt a Chuil. Once over the watershed there are no difficulties.

The braided section of the Tarf Water by the ruined pony hut at NN 956 797 is easy under normal conditions - but if in spate you can track SE on the well-defined track SW of Dun Mor to reach the Tilt and so get back on route.

Thanks Stan, Vanessa and Humphrey for your very helpful information about following Tarf Water. It sounds fine and we plan to go that way; its good to come across a new route through the Cairngorms. Regards

Ted,

It is a fine, generally easy route across but I would respectfully suggest that you get established onto the S bank (although in a steep little gulley initially) of the Allt a Chuil as soon as possible after crossing the bridge at NN819801. If you attempt the N bank and there has been any appreciable rain/melt you will find the crossing of the Allt Damh Dubh extremely iffy as would probably be the immediate crossing of the All a Chuil to the S bank- I know - been there and not done it! A few odd landslides along the river bank E of the bothy but nothing too serious. Don't forget the Tarf Hotel is the most seriously haunted bothy in Scotland should you decide to night stop there.....,........

My best wishes to the Mrs.

Colin

Thanks for that Colin! Ted can avail himself of the ghostly room service if he wishes. I shall be camping outside. Unless......

Don't forget the Tarf Hotel is the most seriously haunted bothy in Scotland should you decide to night stop there.....,........

Really?

I've stayed there and definitely nothing spooky, other than it was impossible to light the fire because everything was so damp.

I thought Ryvoan and Ben Alder along with Charr were meant to be far more haunted?

Oh well, you live and learn.

Echoing Colin's comments about sticking to the south side of the Allt a Chuill.

Only problem I had with the Tarf Hotel was sticking my foot through the floor (since repaired, I understand). It was too wet for ghosts.

Sorry Colin,

the most seriously haunted bothy in Scotland is Ben Alder Cottage.

I know what I´m talking about ... In 2003 something outerworldly made my blood run cold.

Markus

The ghosts at Ben Alder Cott left me well alone when I was there in October ... and I've stayed at Ryvoan mor ethan once without incident.

Maybe ghosts are scared of lawyers ...

... or lawyers are just lucky sods.