​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mount Keen to Mount Battock

Not Mr Tock, the other Colin, but I think that I can help. Alistair, if you've walked the section west of Mount Keen, you'll know how bad that gets. To the east though, the going is much more friendly; there are even faint paths in places. Don't get me wrong, you'll still come across some area of bog and rough going, which can be especially trying when it's wet, but there really is nothing too horrific.

Electric fences? Sadly true and they're an eyesore but there are no impasses and gates are present when you need them.

If you're thinking of a high level pitch along this ridge, you may struggle as there are few opportunities. I did camp once at the head of the Fungle but comfortable it was not. I had to snatch whatever I could find in a heavy downpour and had to indulge in a spot of gardening to make a half decent pitch. Water wasn't an issue though, only a short stroll down the path.

Loch Tennet, in case you're wondering, is no such thing. The last time I was there, no open water presented itself, merely a reedy and wet stretch of nasty bog.

So go for it, it keeps you on the high ground and it's satisfying to link the two hills in this way. You'll probably know that once you gain Mount Battock, you're confronted with a disgraceful degree of estate vandalism. The plethora of appalling tracks up here cries out for proper planning control.

Hope that helps.

Colin

Hi,

I did this route in 2012, following the old county boundary between the two hills. A few nasty electric fences to circumnavigate and precious few patches you could pitch a tent on, but very satisfying. I camped just off the Fungle by finding an island in the dip that became a burn further down. I drew water from the head of that burn as the damp ground became a bit of a spring.If the weather is clear you're laughing because there are views and you can see where you're going.

None of the electric fences were live in May 2015 when I went this way. I'm not sure if this was just luck or if they are only used at certain times of the year.

There's a distinct lack of running water, which is the major problem for wild camping. There's a trickle to the north of the summit of Tampie by some flattish ground (by the non-existent wee lochan shown on the OS map)

Went this way in 2103, fences E of Mount Keen were dead.

Finding a decent pitch along the ridge is a bit of a problem as others have noted. I deliberately pitched up early just E of Mount Keen near the summit of Braid Cairn (~NO 425 869, level dry grassy pitch if potentially a bit draughty. Water picked up from the head waters of Cowie Burn just to the W.

Alistair,

Would go along with what has already been said. Certainly much, much easier going that the sodden peat hags to the W of Mt. Keen although there are the dreadful electric fence now originating near Gannoch and running along the boundary.I have not done the whole route for donkeys year and before this fence was put up although there was a high electrified deer fence running for miles from E of Mt. Battock almost to Clachnaben dating back to the 70s, but now thankfully dismantled with remains still to be seen. Do remember to take in the wonderful Clachnaben and the the delightful descent down to Millers Bog/GlenDye Lodge. The area is littered with high ground wrecks- let me know if you want the locations.

My very best to Mrs. Pooler,

regards,

Colin

Colin is absolutely right about Clachnaben. A great wee hill and now my standard Boxing Day walk.

The hill of the lopsided nipple

Hi,

Many thanks to everyone for their useful information and advice . I'd looked at the satellite images before, but nothing beats reports from people who've walked that way before!

In the end I've decided to go for it, with a long day planned from Shiel of Glentanar to Glen Dye. And I've decided to take in Clachnaben too - it looks like a great hill .

Now I've just got to hope for dry and clear weather. I suspect navigation will be tricky in places if the cloud is down!

Alistair

Alistair Pooler
I suspect navigation will be tricky in places if the cloud is down!

Alistair

You need Lord Elpus's SatMuppet. It told us exactly where we were this year when the cloud was down and the rain was bouncing off our coats and running into our socks: The Wrong Hill.

The wrong hill

Indeed, Al. I've decided to get rid of the blessed thing as it persistently insists that I am not where I wish to be.

OMG. Right now it says that I'm in a dismal place called Grantham.

One of the highlights of my first challenge was leaving Tarfside climbing up to the ridge that encompasses Mt Battock and, ultimately, Clachnaben. A bit of lunar, or certainly alien-looking landscape, with the peat hags and sand. Like nothing else I' ve experienced on the Challenge, before or since, and certainly well worth it.

As to water, had I carried water up there would have been innumerable places to pitch but I ended up in the Fetteresso instead, shortening my last day to Dunnottar Castle. Another highlight was my introduction to Graeme and Marion Dunsire, every year we seem to come across one another in the most unlikely of places.......I wonder where it will be in 2016.