​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Monadhliath Mountains

Hi Paul. I walked much of this way last year. I found the walk up to Chalybeate Spring from Fort Augustus pleasant enough, although as Alan has already said it is entirely on vehicle tracks. I seem to recall finding a good spot to pitch near Chalybeate Spring that evening.

I detoured a long way south from Chalybeate Spring to pick up the ridge near Geal Charn. From what I remember, the walking along the ridge as far as Carn Ban and Carn Dearg is nice. Beyond that I'm afraid I don't know as I dropped down to Newtonmore that afternoon.

Hi Paul,

I can recommend going up Glen Tarf, it's beautiful and there's a good path most of the way. You may need to go a bit further up the glen to get across the river if it's very wet, but when you can see a track on the north side clearly with a curve down towards the water, there's a good place to cross. A bit of a scramble to get out at the far end of the glen but it brings you right out by the new reservoir. The tramp along the track after that is at least fast.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The reason for going up to Glen Doe reservoir is because I want to see the Glen Doe eagle. Looking at it though I could still go up Glen Tarf and then come up and over.

A magnificent beast :-

Photo from my 2014 Challenge.