​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The mires of Morar

I went South of Loch Morar. ("An Arisaig start in disguise" was how my route vetter described it!)

It did not go well ... the cloud was down, the navigation confused, and a subsequent visit to try to figure out what went wrong convinced me that there are some egregious errors in the map in those parts. (I suspect the original OS surveyors were in a hurry to escape the midges and took the view that the only people ever likely ot b eup there already knew hte ground and wouldn't need the map; so they just put down something - anything - without verifying it too closely; and their errors have been carried forward onot subsequent editions because aerial phot-surveying has been frustetrated by low cloud ... )

It's beautiful up there, though, and I'd say go for it.

Oh, and beware of Oban bothy if a heavy overnight storm is forecast ...

Hi Simon.
I went that way in 2012 with Andy Walker & Dave Wilkinson.

Click on the link below
TGO Challenge 2012: Morar to St Cyrus: Home Page

and go to DAY ONE and DAY TWO.

You may find other stuff interesting from the home page.

As you'll see from the write up, the North Morar ridge is a fabulous start, but please be lucky with the weather. If it is ghastly, I suggest you drop down to the north and walk the shoreline (though this will need the occasional clamber to avoid awkward spots)

Great photo, Mr S!

Wonderful start as Mr Sloman Pointed out

Links to 1st 2 days below

http://akkwalks.blogspot.com/2012/05/tgoc-2012-day-one-and-so-it-begins.html

http://akkwalks.blogspot.com/2012/05/tgoc-2012-day-2-north-morar-ridge-to.html

As Al said, pray for good weather, in which case it is brilliant.

I am praying for good weather too.
For some insane reason we seem to have 24+ Munros on our good weather route

Great links there, Andrew. Captures that ridge perfectly ... on a good day it is slow going but magnificent. On a bad day it's a nightmare.

Roger Boston went that way from Mallaig in 2005 - bagging the Corbett & descending to Sourlies. Mind you, he set out a camp on Druim Chuilinn just beyond Tarbet and it still looks like a very long hard day. Roger's account is HERE

Even with minimal stops I reckon you should count on doing less than 2kph max over this terrain.

Simon, this is possibly the most wonderful start to a challenge. Just be prepared to take your time and savour it .... and have a viable FWA !!!!

Dear all,

VMT for your useful tips and links. I will prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Simon AKA 'Marcher'

I'd take issue a little with Phil here as the "most wonderful" start to any of my Challenges has been the ridge south of Lochailort, 5 Corbetts and in my case a terrific high level camp; if you see one other Challenger up there I would be surprised!

Peter Goddard
I'd take issue a little with Phil here as the "most wonderful" start to any of my Challenges has been the ridge south of Lochailort, 5 Corbetts and in my case a terrific high level camp; if you see one other Challenger up there I would be surprised!

Many take issue with Phil... Just jokin...
That South ridge is on my to do list Pete.
Not this year, but some time. Maybe not on the Challenge.
I quite fancy a 2 week holiday in Western Hills.
I have a lot of unfinished high up business there ☺

Andrew -

If you fancy a walking partner for that two week out-of-Challenge-time expedition, let me know.

Once I'm in the teaching profession, I guess something like that is the closest thing I'll get to enjoying the cameraderie of another Challenge ...