​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sleeper Train Tickets

In case some folk haven't noticed, it is possible to buy Sleeper Train Tickets for travelling up for the Challenge - now!

Re: Sleeper Train Tickets

Thanks for that, Gordon, I'd forgotten that the new franchisees/owners had this spiffing new web booking service. Not only got the ticket booked, but a berth in the middle of the carriage (not over the rumbling bouncing bogies) and I was able to book a full highland breakfast too!

Luxury!

Incidentally the Scottish Citylink bus service also allows you to book on line for May next year. So for folk wanting to catch the bus to their final destinations, you can reserve your seats now.

Yes, Serco have been running the Sleeper service for over a year now! However, be aware that prices seemed to have been raised dramatically. Last year a reclining seat cost £34.10 to Inverness; now £55. A shared berth £85 and a 'solo' berth a whopping £155! Tickets available up to one year in advance at www.sleeper.scot.
If you can stomach a coach mega bus run two overnight services out of Victoria for as little as £14 arriving at either 10:58 or 12:20. Coach or train for onward travel can then be taken to Kyle of Lochalsh and intermediate stop - train os surprisingly cheaper!

And here's one of those weird and wonderful features of British railway ticketing since privatisation which we all know and love, which they cannot POSSIBLY justify, but they just shrug their shoulders and say "so what? It is what it is ..."

I am trying to decide whether to take the Lowlander sleeper to Glasgow, and an onward train from Glasgow to Oban; or the Highlander sleeper to Crianlarich, and an onward train from Crianlarish to Glasgow.

Let's start with the onward trains.

From Glasgow, it looks as though an Advance ticket will cost £9.80 substandard class (there is no first class on this service). Anytime tickets cost about £23. Off peak are dearer than anytime (huh??)

From Crianlarich, it is impossible to buy an advance ticket. There are only anytime tickets. They cost £12.

But what about the sleeper? Which is the dearer destination? Glasgow or Crianlarich?

Weeeellllll ...

... if you go substandard class, then Crianlarich is going to be £10 CHEAPER than Glasgow.

But if, like me, you're getting old and curmudgeonly and insist on first class, then Crianlarich is going to be £30 DEARER than Glasgow.

Go figure, as they say ...

Looks like I'll be taking the Lowlander.

But . . . you can fly Stansted > Glasgow on the Friday for between £23 and £28 (plus whatever yr hold luggage costs). 08:40 > 10:00 or 12:10 > 13:30.

Just sayin . . .

If you are old and decrepit you can get a Senior Rail Card.

One third off the cost.

Makes going First Class a realistic option.

If only I can remember why I'm going on the overnight Sleeper.

Ah, but Gordon ... I said nothing about decrepit. Just curmudgeonly.

Gordon Green
If you are old and decrepit you can get a Senior Rail Card.

One third off the cost.

Makes going First Class a realistic option.

And breakfast is included too. Pity that waiting on the platform at Preston station at 0030hrs is so miserable.

Well, we're all booked up now, Sleeper and Bus to start. Oh, and accommodation.
Shame about the 20+ Munros that seem to be in the way.
Might need some really good weather.

I booked my tickets a couple of days ago and found the cost of the sleeper has gone up enormously. Also, Advance (daytime) train tickets can only be booked up to three months in advance. However, airline tickets can be booked up to 12 months in advance and you can get some very good deals on flights. The cost of my flights, including a bag under 20kgs booked into the hold, are as follows:

London Luton - Inverness £52.99 (Easyjet)
Sat 14/05/16 Dep: 07:40 Arr: 09:05

Aberdeen - Heathrow £73 (British Airways)
Fri 27/05/16 Dep: 12:45 Arr: 14:10

Night in Ibis hotel Luton airport (10 mins walk from the terminal) £37.05