​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice for 1st timers

Hi all - any other 1st timers out there? I am 56, not too fit, reasonably experienced at mountain walking, backpacking, nav, etc, but have never done a trip this long. This trip is going to be a challenge for me physically and I suspect psychologically. I will be on my own. So I am looking to plan as straightforward a route as possible. I am thinking of an Oban to St Cyrus crossing. A lot of the posts on here seem to be from folk who have done the trip many times before and it's good to see you all getting fired up for another adventure. Any practical tips for 1st timers? Can you cast your mind back to your 1st time and say what helped you to get through OK? Advice on preparation and training, working with the vetters and route planning, gear, food supplies, pacing, psychology of the trip....you get the idea. All suggestions gratefully received and I wish you all well in your preparations.

Re: Advice for 1st timers

Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the Challenge!

The first thing I would like to say about the Challenge, and something which surprised me, is that you are NEVER really on your own! Not to say that you will be landed with some unwelcome company from the moment you step out of the door, but that you will find the Challenge is like a welcoming family. I was talking to someone recently and summed it up as a mobile walking festival. You will meet other Challengers along the way, as company for anything from a few hours to a few days, or as friendly faces popping up at your overnight stops. Challengers always help each other on the way, practically or psychologically, and I think you will be surprised at the wave of support.

I won’t put too much here as others will, no doubt, be along. I would advise doing your route research well, make use of the message board by searching and asking new questions. Put your route down as clearly as you can to help your Vetter and listen to what he/she has to say. I strongly advise keeping to low level route for your first one, if you are new to all this, and try to keep your days of an even length. Long and short days can be disproportionately tiring. I find a day off in the middle suits me – some people don’t do that. Do a few practice trips once the weather gets better after Christmas, even if they are just overnighters. That will help you work out what gear you actually need, so you can lighten up as much as possible, and will get your feet and shoulders in good order.

I think it would be fair to say that everyone finds it a challenge and everyone has a low day or two – that prospect obviously hasn’t put you off, so enjoy! I hope to meet you in May.

About fitness : try to keep your first day short and fairly lowlevel. I know that can be difficult with all those beautifull peaks in the west. You'll get hillfit during the walk and once you reach the eastcoast you'll be able to turn around and walk back.

Theo

Hi Joseph.

I agree with Theo - don't take on too much for the first couple of days.

I try to see each day as a combination of distance and difficulty. By difficulty, I either mean "lots of up" or "lots of bog". So I try to plan a shorter distance if the map shows lots of up or lots of bog. If the map show lots of up AND lots of bog ... then I either choose a different route or reduce the distance even more.

Mentally I sometimes need to break the days down into chunks so that I can feel that I'm making progress. You'll have lots of daylight (even if it's not sunshine!) so don't feel that you have to rush.

As Emma has said, other Challengers will be supportive. I now recognise that, even though I am classed as a "solo challenger", I do sometimes need the moral support of other Challengers. I would recommend that, as a first timer, you put some of the popular Challege hot-spots on your route even if you want to walk on your own for most of the time. On about my 3rd or 4th Challenge I tagged along with other Challengers for nearly the whole crossing, and that didn't really suit me in hindsight, but I do like to stumble across fellow Challengers every so often. They can cheer you up if/when you're having a bad day.

I hope you enjoy the planning. I remember how hard that was for me at first. The vetters are very supportive of first-timers and you'll get some good advice here on the message board. It's worth searching to see if the question has been asked before, though.

Good luck!

Hi Joseph, and welcome You have just joined the wonderful Challenge family.

I believe it's important when planning each day's route to imagine it's tipping down with rain and your feet are already sloshing about in your shoes. Then take a look at the map and ask yourself if this day is 'do-able.' How big is that river crossing going to be? This is especially important in the west, where rainfall can be mighty and rivers can rise at an astonishing rate. Then take a good hard look at the map and try to work out what terrain you'll be walking over.

And, as Judith has wisely said in her response, plan accordingly.

Lastly, be kind to your Vetter; Try to produce a route that's clear and well thought through. The Vetters are a wonderfully helpful bunch and they'll spot any glitches in your route. Make it easy for them. Once you've planned your route let a walking friend take a squint at it to see if they can follow it without any difficulty.

Good luck Joseph. The planning is half the fun of the event. Plan a walk that you'll think will be enjoyable in any weather.

Thanks for the kind and helpful responses. I've also had a few direct to me via email and that's been very helpful too. This is a summary of the sensible things that have been said thus far;

Plan carefully and work with the vetters to get a great route sorted out
Have test runs to get kit and routines sorted - see what can be left behind so weight is as low as possible. A few weekend walks with all the kit in use (in the hills) will do wonders for confidence
Think of strategies for breaking things down into bite size chunks. Don't get overwhelmed by the whole thing - especially at the start. Don't overcook things at the start - take it steady and be careful of blisters on road sections
For a first trip it might be better to take it steady - aim for an average of 20kms a day - rather than long days/days off combinations
Don't be over reliant on technology - maps and a compass are still the bedrock
Make realistic time adjustments to accommodate ascent/rough ground
There will lots of daylight - no need to rush
Fitness will build along the route, as long as I don't overdo things
There are lots of ways to get support pre and during the event

All sensible stuff- now the biggy - How do you keep the weight of food carried down? Seems to me the weight of food carried and getting resupplies is going to be crucial.

How do you keep the weight of food carried down?

Now you've opened a can of worms, Joseph - and I don't mean that as a dietary recommendation.

Hi Joseph, and welcome.
All of the above, plus blogs. Read as many as you can (Doodlecat is a good place to start, but you'll find links all over and forget where you came from and where you were going!) They're an honest and useful source of ideas and information.
Enjoy the planning. I adore maps, they are things of utter beauty, but I also use online resources such as geograph, wheresthepath, google and streetview.
I like to know that every few nights I have a bed to look forward to. As much as I love my tent, I like to get thoroughly warm and dry from time to time! I'll ask if I can send a parcel to each accommodation containing maps, dehydrated meals and disposable handwarmers (my luxury), something else to look forward to. But I also try to plan these stops where there are shops and pubs to resupply fresh food and eat real meals. And coke, lots of coke.
Your fellow Challengers are amazing people. They will encourage, entertain and enrich your Challenge, without question.
Overall, ENJOY! It is Your Challenge.

If you plan your route carefully it will be possible to do some shopping every 3/4 days. If you're planning a lonely and wild route it would be sensible to send foodparcels to campsites/hostels/B&B's etc. Whichever is on your route.
I had a bad experience in 2013 sending parcels ahead. I live abroad - in The Netherlands - and one parcel never arrived and another showed up far too late. Next time I'll do the Challenge I'll make a 'Tour d'Ecosse' in advance to drop them off myself.

Hi Joseph,

I'd just like to add one thing to the excellent advice you've been given so far and that's when on the Challenge don't kill yourself trying to stick to your timetable. No matter how well you plan your route the conditions on the ground can change dramatically with the weather, especially when you are not walking on good tracks or paths. It can be better to stop short of your goal for the day and catch up later. If you push yourself to the point of exhaustion it's difficult to recover.

As for food I start with about 4 days worth and buy stuff along the way.

And the final and most important thing never walk past a tea and cake shop without going in and sampling there wares.

Ian C.

Hi Joseph

I was a solo 1st timer in 2014 and like yourself I wasn't quite sure what's what.
With regards to pack weight every one is different but aim for a comfortable 12-15kg max. You can send dried food/OS maps etc to a Post Office on route Post Restante. I met some great people along the way so you are never far from good company. Keep an eye on the message board for lots of useful info.

Happy planning and hope to see you along the way.
Cheers

Hello Joseph, Welcome!

Excellent advise you've allready got. By far more experienced challengers than I am.

Allthough not my first Challenge, this year it will be my first solo crossing. But through this message board, facebook and other means of electronic communications it came out that my route will cross and coincide with those of fellow challengers. It's great to meet others, have a chat, assist or be assisted by them and have fun. If you (or them) do not fancy walking together, say hello, have a chat and walk on. They're all slighty mad but nice. Although the latter is not allways obvious :-)
As mentioned before: it's your challenge.
And be assured that the members of this weird family: fellow challengers, vetters and above all The Saints of Newtonmore are allways happy to help!

I hardly ever carry more than 4 days of food. I'm sending a limmited supply to campsites or other accomodation and try to resupply at local shops as much as possible. A local Mars bar is far superior to the ones you buy at home!

Hope to meet in May!

Hi Joseph,

I did my first Challenge in 2013 and, like you, was a bit apprehensive. Psychologically, I think that the key thing is to have dry clothes and sleeping bag so invest in good drybags and don't be afraid to double up.

All the advice so far is good but I would suggest that if you don't have much experience of walking in Scotland, you should try and fit in a training week end, maybe around Easter. Go somewhere remote and if you cope OK with that, you'll be fine with the Challenge.

Ian

My first challenge took thirteen days.

I found it too much to comprehend in total, I looked at it as thirteen fifteen mile hikes.

I could do fifteen miles.

Just take one day at a time and look after your feet.

Enjoy it, I did.

Hi Joseph

I am also a first timer but I have walked 12 long distance paths so have an idea what to prepare for. Here are a few tips:

1. Food - three packets of camp food per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), plus loads of chocolate bars. You don't need to take a camp stove as camp food is pre-cooked and can be eaten cold. This will cut down on you weight. Also, you can buy camp food from places such as Aviemore, Ballater etc.

2. Clothes - when I walk, if I'm staying in B&B's I carry a change of clothes (and trainers!) for the evening. It's one of my little luxuries and besides if I'm not carrying camping gear the weight isn't to bad. On a walk like this don't carry spare clothes for the evening. At the of the walk go to a charity shop and buy a cheap pair of trousers, t-shirt and whatever else you want for the journey back. Choose carefully and it won't cost you more than a fiver. One chap I know travelled back in a dress!

3. Post the maps you've already used back home. It'll lighten your load!

Paul,

No Stove,Scotland,May are you ****ING MAD?

just my opinion of course.

Barry

Paul Southward
Hi Joseph

I am also a first timer but I have walked 12 long distance paths so have an idea what to prepare for. Here are a few tips:

1. Food - three packets of camp food per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), plus loads of chocolate bars. You don't need to take a camp stove as camp food is pre-cooked and can be eaten cold. This will cut down on you weight. Also, you can buy camp food from places such as Aviemore, Ballater etc.

2. Clothes - when I walk, if I'm staying in B&B's I carry a change of clothes (and trainers!) for the evening. It's one of my little luxuries and besides if I'm not carrying camping gear the weight isn't to bad. On a walk like this don't carry spare clothes for the evening. At the of the walk go to a charity shop and buy a cheap pair of trousers, t-shirt and whatever else you want for the journey back. Choose carefully and it won't cost you more than a fiver. One chap I know travelled back in a dress!

3. Post the maps you've already used back home. It'll lighten your load!

I suspect you may be in a tiny minority (possibly of about one...) that would advocate Challenging WITHOUT a stove. Even having a hot drink in the shelter of a large rock out of wind and rain can be a mood lifter. I know, I've done it. A hot meal in your tent at the end of a hard, cold, wet day is heaven. Ditching a stove on this kind of trip would be, in my honest opinion, some kind of punishment. This is supposed to be fun!
A lightweight stove and fuel with quality dehydrated food is a sensible, practical option and possibly lighter than carrying cold, 'wet' (therefore heavy...) miserable food. I use a Jetboil Flash. It isn't the lightest perhaps, some find it bulky, but I've never yet finished a small gas canister on a Challenge crossing and enjoy a couple of hot drinks and a hot meal, sometimes pudding aswell, about 10 days of a fourteen day crossing.
A very few people might manage a crossing without carrying a stove and fuel, but they would be a tiny minority of extremely hardy people.
I like a bit of comfort. Including a change of clothes...

Hi Joseph

I agree with Barry and Louise about taking a stove. Paul suggests taking meals you can eat from the pouch without cooking ..... so they presumably contain liquid and are heavier than de-hydrated equivalents. One thing you will find PLENTY of in the Challenge area is water... so why carry it on your back when you can scoop it up from the burn? In my opinion you'd be better off taking dried food and a stove. The thought of eating cold "rat pack" pouches - from choice! - turns my stomach!

On my first crossing I was really worried that I would not be able to carry the weight of food and equipment that I needed. I did not take a pan; I just took my (400ml) Ti cup and tried to survive on Oats So Simple [which burned in such a small cup/pan], soup and cup-a-couscous. It was not enough. I was hungry, which meant I was tired. Yes, I ate every time I found a pub or cafe but I learned that I need loads of hot, tasty grub inside me when I am camping. I now take a pan and a mug so I can have a soup while I am waiting for my main course to cook. I do also have some emergency rations like chocolate, oatcakes and nuts in case I cannot cook (which has happened when my stove broke.)

You will know what kind of food you're happy to eat at the end of a long day but, based on my experience, I know that the value of a tasty, warm meal far exceeds its simple calorific count.

Edit: And a change of clothes is essential for me too. It's the only way I can guarantee getting warm on the really tough days when I am exhausted. Wash, put on dry clothes, crawl into sleeping bag, eat, sleep.

I'm looking forward to Challenge photos of Paul in a dress. On second thoughts, maybe not

Seriously, sensible advice on taking a stove and hot food. A massive boost on bad weather days and as Judith says, with dehydrated food, not necessarily heavier. A spare set of dry clothes is a must for me as well. If I get wet during the day at least I know I can sleep dry. Also makes rotating and cleaning clothes much easier over two weeks.

On routes, I found blogs very helpful. Stealing parts of routes as well as plotting your own can be helpful. Blogs (and geograph) can also be good for finding places to camp as maps don't give enough detail. Lastly, especially on a first Challenge, it's good to have a couple of stops at B&Bs or hotels along the way. If the weather is bad, at least you know you'll have somewhere to dry out and recouperate. Also gives the opportunity for a bit of laundry.

Hope you have a good time. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be on this one.

I don't understand why anyone would do the Challenge without a stove and carry wet food. A Wayfarer wet main course weighs 300g while a Mountain House dehydrated main weighs 100g. That's 200g extra weight for one course. On the Challenge I find one such course is not enough for my evening meal. If you have a stove you can add packet soup or noodles both of which weigh next to nothing.

You can now get titanium gas stoves that weigh less than 50g and a small gas cartridge is about 200g or you could go even lighter with one of the many meths stoves now available. If you are carrying a couple of days food you are carrying more weight not carrying a stove and you are doing without hot food and drinks. Scotland in May the weather can be quite extreme, out of the 14 Challenges I've completed I've been snowed on on 13 of them and the vast majority have had at least one day, some of them many days, of strong winds and heavy rain. Having a hot drink not only warms you physically but can lift your spirits and make a tough day more enjoyable.

I also feel not taking spare clothing is not a good idea. After a wet day having dry clothing to change into makes life bearable. The Challenge is as much a mental challenge as it is physical and it should be enjoyable.

It's your Challenge and it's up to you how you do it but I believe not having access to dry clothes, hot food and drink greatly increases your chance of not completing the Challenge.

Ian C.

Re: Advice for 1st timers - Resource

If it is any help and you are the type of person who likes to listen to radio while you are doing other things, then you'll find 54 audio podcasts I've undertaken over the last 10 years purely to assist people like yourself in preparing for this event.

In them you'll find hints, tips, feedback and 'as it happens' experiences from all kinds of people who have approached the event in different ways.

I'm in total agreement with all the advice you have had here from everyone, however do be aware that sometimes simple questions of the forum will get numerous replies which can take many forms. Sarcasm being one of them.

Just pop over to my website and use the search box on the right hand side of the page and enter TGO Challenge. There's also videos to consume as well, which of course you can find on YouTube as well.

All being well. I'll see you next year.

www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk

Cheers

Bob

Thanks for the tips that keep coming in. I need to add research the route using books, blogs, etc to my notes to self. I do intend this to be a challenging holiday and I will take the means to make a brew and cook some scoff. A change of clothing will be in the pack too. I take the point about leaving out as much as possible but I think I would prefer to suffer a bit more weight than be caught out. I appreciate there are many ways to skin a cat so I guess there will be lots of diffent approaches to th trip. Good luck to one and all.

Two words: Virtual trousers.

My case rests

Mike (The Pie) Knipe
Two words: Virtual trousers.

My case rests

I tried them the other week and they got me into a lot of trouble at the local supermarket.
It appears no one else can see them.
Now I realise going commando underneath was also ill advised.
On a plus note, I should be out in March, so ok for the the Challenge :-)
I shall stick to Montane Terra's.

Re Food & stuff

There are many blogs out there with info on what to take and kit lists.

But no stove for me doesn't work.
There are some very light stoves out there.

And if you add the weight of stoves and fuel to the dried eat in the bag food, it will come in less than wet food.

Good deals on dried food can be found at

http://basecampfood.com/collections/dehydrated-meals

http://www.extremeadventurefood.co.uk/

http://www.mountaintrails.org.uk/

I use a Flatcat Gear stove with meths. It will also use Esbit.
The whole thing inc meths weighs less than a gas canister.

I can take 3 to 4 days dried packet food and it weighs less than a single wet food bag.
Also with a stove you can have a hot meal and a hot drink.

At the end of a long day, especially if you are in a tent, and have got cold and wet, you NEED hot food.
It helps warm you up, and it is a psychological boost.
Add a bit of sugary stuff in.
Not for the energy, just for the sugar rush.

Now, you are happier, and tomorrow seems so much better.

Just my opinion, and opinions differ.
But no stove for me is madness.

Bob & Rose have some very light reasonably priced stoves too.

Good Grief, Man!

I've just taken a gander at that flattened cat contraption of yours! You couldn't run a Dormobile over that, could you? Would it deflect a herd of charging wildebeest?

No Sir!

THIS is what you need for two weeks of stumbling across the ghastly emptiness of midge infested bogs in the pouring rain:

Now then. As you were.
Harrumph.

Bob and Rose need to stock Flat Cat stoves Andy. By far the best meths and esbit stoves I have used.

As for food advice:

My picks are Mountain Trails as you mention. Overtime I have found those my best pick. I have tried a lot of meals and comeback to those most.

Do it yourself guide by Andrew Skurka http://andrewskurka.com/section/how-to/food-nutrition/meal-recipes/ with some superb meals.

Or Eric's meals http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/14385/backpacking-dinner-recipes/

If you really don't want a stove for a hot brew at lunch time during a cold wet day then this is a handy first step introduction.

http://www.trailtosummit.com/no-cook-backpacking-an-introduction/

My first was a few years ago. Again solo like yourself. You are right it was a physical as well as a mental challenge. Over the years experience of the challenge, and what other far more experienced challengers do and do not do has taught me a lot.

There are more opinions of what is right and wrong in almost every aspect of the challenge. Solo / group, Lightweight / Heavier, Tarp / Tent, Stove / No Stove, Butter / Margarine .. you name it. Ultimately I think that most challengers would agree it comes down to personal choice and experience.

So. My five new pence worth. It is in my experience, always wet and cold at some point. So it is a must to get heat inside you or be able to build up some warmth. For that reason a stove and spare warm dry clothes are a must for me. I have pitched my tent in the middle of the day when wet through and cold with no shelter around, and you would not believe the physical and mental boost a hot boiling mug of anything will give you. I know some people simply need nothing more than a sip from the burn, but those are their choices. Go out try it and see if you could put up with it for a few days. I couldn't. I'll be interested to see what you decide.

As for the psychology of walking that far, its been covered well. Break it down into manageable chunks and you'll be amazed at the distance you cover. One day at a time. One step at a time. Walking solo you have no one to 'bounce off ' so its different than walking in a group. Personally when I feel low or wet or cold, I look around at the animals and the birds, and you'll see life just doing its thing, and getting on with it. So whilst you are out there especially on your own, and most importantly no matter what the weather, remember how lucky you are to be there in the wild, where many have never been and many will never go.

(should I add here endeth the lesson after that ? )

Thanks for the links to the dried food manufacturers. Some interesting options in there. Bit expensive but hey ho - it's a holiday. I need to keep the costs down so I was not planning on B&Bing or anything like that. I guess I will have to suck it and see but I will aim to do this as close to remaining independent (with the flexibility that offers) as possible. All this puts the spotlight on planning a realistic route, taking the right kit, practice/prep and having a positive attitude when things get tough. The point is well made about us being lucky to be in the position to have these issues to think about. There are many poor souls in the world who have real problems to address.

I also try to keep costs down. I find Mountain Trails meals good value for money. The occasional campsite or hostel instead of B&B can provide that little hint of comfort and respite should the weather start to get you down, they are cheaper options and don't necessarily require pre-booking. Perhaps make a note of ones not marked on maps, or even the ones marked that no longer exist, to save disappointment!

As an aside, there are now the other documents and extra tips for first-timers available in the downloads above...

I seem to started off something here by saying not to take a camp stove! I've done numerous days walking without anything hot and I've been okay, but I suppose it's all down to personal preference. As for the clothes, all I'm saying is don't take that change of decent clothes for the evening, not ANY spare clothes at all!

Just one thing I'd like to add everything said so far:

Long-distance walking is an incredibly personal experience. Not everyone can do it and sometimes it really is mentally demanding. This year for the first time I abandoned a walk halfway through. I couldn't go on, I just couldn't do any more. Why, I don't know. It was Glyndwr's Way and I had reached Machynlleth. For some reason the solitude and loneliness of walking had got to me and I couldn't go a step further. I still haven't completed the walk.

Joseph - good luck. I hope you do the challenge. You never know, it may well be me who gives up at Fort Augustus on the third day!

I've done ten now, all solo, but I still remember my first. I've found a formula that works for me. And therein lies my first piece of advice - make sure you understand YOURSELF. What works for you, what doesn't. Weigh up people's advice with that in mind. What works for me may not work for you.

I'd endorse the advice to read accounts of other people's crossings - there's plenty of them out there. But don't just read them and look at the pictures - get the maps out and trace the route on the maps. If you spot alternatives they could have taken, spend a while pondering why they went this way rather than that way (it may simply b ethey went that way on aprevious crossing and wanted a change ... or wanted to get a particular mountain, or whatever; but there may equally be some other good and compelling reason).

I would qualify ht eadvice not to try to do too much in your first crossing. In my first crossing, I was too unabmitious, an dwithin four days I was looking for extra hills I could add in. Doing this when you're altready on the way isn't as easy as building it in at th eplanning stage. Look for opportunities to have "optional extras" - hilss you MIGHT climb but don't have to; waterfalls or other geological features you MIGH divert to take a look at but don't have to, and so on. Then you can do them to enhance your route if you feel up to it, or leave them out if you do not.

I, personally, will NEVER skimp on clothes. i ALWAYS want dry clothes to change into as soon as I make camp, and fresh underwear, base layer and socks to put on every day (I change all clothes on making camp, sleep in that underwear and base lawyer, and walk in it ht enext day, changing out of it on reaching camp). Don't wear socks in your camp or bothy unless it is very cold - to let your feet get some air and dry out - and carry some suitable footwear for camp and bothy. I carry Teva sandals, which I also wear for river crossings, and lengthy spells on tarmac (unless it's raining heavily).

Food - there are as many differen topinions on this as there are Challengers. I will just say this. When you're drenched through, cmaped in a marginally viable spot wiht rain beating down on your tent, there is NOTHING so good at lifting your morale as something nice, hot and hearty to eat. Plan VARIETY, and make sure that whatever you use for your trail supplies, it is something that you will LOOK FORWARD TO EATING when you make camp in the evening. That gives you the incentive you need to keep plodding on.

FInally, and critically, CARRY PAINKILLERS. Ideally "melt-on-the-tongue" ones that you can take easily. And don't be afraid to use them if you start rubbing blisters. It is better to walk on painkillers and aggravate the blisters than it is to adjust your gait to favour the blisters, and end up messing up your knees and hips as a consequence!

hi all,Theres a lot of twaddle rote on here, come on you guys the challenge
is supposed to be enjoyed not some kind exercise of how to make yourself
miserable, by the fact you have put in for it makes you a bit different
someone who has an adventure spirit, first timers go and have a great
adventure and don't hold back its great!also don't hold back on what you think you should put in your pack, it doesn't mater what the weight is, there are some out there who are getting there nickers in a twist about what to carry and pack weight,to advise first timers not to carry a stove and to take cold packed food, and not ANY spare cloths at all!! "you will bloody well need them when in rain all day I can assure you,"

As a first timer, one thing I would like answered is: Where are the really good social points along the challenge?

Is there a cheese and wine party every year and if so where and when? What's the deal at Fort Augustus, is there a specific place to meet or do people just find each other? Is Tarfside worth visiting for a bit of fun? As a first timer, what social events would you recommend I should aim to take in?

Hi Joesph and fellow challengers!

I'm also a first timer! Thanks for all the advice etc from everyone!

After reading some of your gear lists I'm need to be upgrading some of my gear to lighter stuff budget permitting!

Just starting my route planning! I'm sure I'll have some questions in the next few weeks.

See some of you in May!

The name is in the title. Challenge. If i stayed in B&Bs Hostels etc i would be very cross and feel like i have cheated myself. Wild camping and the occasional bothy when you want to dry your kit with a nice warm fire and to pick up your thoughts and morale is the only way, a nice springy mattress and a lovely shower in the morning is not a challenge sorry.

I think the definition of 'Challenge' in this context is an entitely different discussion, the answer to which would be an entirely personal thing.
This thread is primarily answering a question about advise for first-timers, not seasoned masochists.

All of the above is wonderful stuff - and tells you much about our community! My own advice, such as it is, would be to rigourously check out all your equipment before the off. And to carry a small repair kit - needle and thread, a couple of buttons, some string/shock-cord, duck tape (wound around yr walking poles), super-glue, light-weight multi-tool, blu-tack, couple of sachets of silica-gel. Prepare a back-up plan in case any technology you're carrying fails.

I'd also suggest taking a sociable route for your first time - for many the heart of the event is the people, and the lasting friendships.

The very best of luck, and hope to meet up with you in Montrose.

Humphrey Weightman
All of the above is wonderful stuff - and tells you much about our community!

Indeed it does!

There are two things which I just cannot bring myself to do on a Challenge (1. Send food parcels; 2. Use transport to get me to my accommodation then back to the walk in the morning), but I have no qualms about booking into an occasional hotel or hostel.

I enjoy the myriad versions of "What the Challenge means to me". Our differences seem to strengthen not weaken our bonds as Challengers.

There are indeed many different ways of doing the Challenge, and some remarkable Challengers have opted not to carry a stove. The late and very great Jim Taylor, the oldest finisher to date, was very happy to stroll across, fuelled only by fresh, cool, burn water. Those guys in their Nineties were proper hard.

Hi Edward. I guess there are as many different approaches to doing the challenge, as there are folk doing it. To be honest, I will be very happy if I manage to get across in one piece! At this stage I am not at all confident I will pull it off, so I am planning (hopefully) an easier route. To keep costs down, I will be camping the whole way - bivvis or paid campsites when available. That also happens to be my preferred style of walking the hills. If I do pull it off this time I will try to make things a bit more of a challenge in the future by choosing a more demanding route. Horses/courses, skinning of cats, and all that. Wishing you fair winds and good luck for May. I hope our paths cross at some point.

Well Edward,......getting off my nice springy mattress and having a lovely shower in the morning is quite a year round challenge.....

My plump and bouncy Neo-Air mattress has given me hours of pleasure on solo crossings.

Humphrey,
I'm not sure it's appropriate for you to share what you get up to with your Neo-Air on a family friendly message board such as this. What happens in a Challengers tent should stay in a Challengers tent.

Ian C.

I think one of the main attributes of a Challenger is to be slightly odd, potty even.
And to have a GSH.

Okay, two main attributes.

Louise
I think one of the main attributes of a Challenger is to be slightly odd, potty even.
And to have a GSH.

Okay, two main attributes.

We of the Challenge have 2 ... No Make that 3 main attributes

GSH
Slightly Mad
Fortitude in the face of adversity
and d_a_m_n
**** 4 attributes ...

I was 56 when I did my first challenge too!

A couple of things I find really helpful:

1. About a month before the challenge I do a 3-4 day test run in terrain similar to the hardest section of my challenge with all the kit exactly the same as I am planning to take. It reminds me how to put up the tent in wind and rain, how the things I thought "might be useful" add weight but don't get used, how far I can actually walk on the first two days with a full pack when I am out of practice and it checks everything is working. It also gives me confidence that I can do 3-4 days, usually in horrendous weather, which is important for my next point.

2. Managing the psychology: I never set off on a 2 week walk, because I find it too daunting. My "chunking" is not about a day at a time either. I divide it into 4 x 3-4 day chunks. Not only have I done that millions of times before, but I have done it a couple of weeks before. Depending on how far north/south my route is, I start on the west coast and walk to the A82 (Fort Augustus, Bridge of Orchy etc). I tell myself I can always get a bus out from there. When I'm there I have a pub meal, meet other Challengers and then set off to walk to the A9 (Aviemore, Kingussie, Dalwhinnie etc). Trains and buses if I needed them! There I do the same and often treat myself to a night under cover. Then I set off to walk to the A96 (Braemar, Glenshee). Another meal out and meeting people. From there it's 3-4 days to the coast and I know I'm going to do it.

3. When all else fails, I just repeat to myself: "Keep heading East", setting it to whatever rousing tune I feel like on that day.

As others have said, what is a true challenge is different for every one of us. You know yourself best. I'm doing a northerly route this year, but hope to see you in Montrose!

Joseph

I can understand you have a bit of anxiey about your first crossing but what i will say is once you are there you will think their wasnt anything to worry about. what i will say is really challenge yourself, dont be scared to add 3-4 munro on your route, go to the Monadhliath mountains, stay high on the ridges. They wont 1 or 2 days you wont see other challengers or Mr joe Blogg having a stroll. Some challengers will stay off the hills but personally i wont be thats what its all about. If you want to take a easy routes go to the lakes Dont get to montrose and think i wish i did it different. Your first crossing is the most special one make it one to remember. Yes there will be days your head drops and there will be days you think wow did i really just do that! Nobody does the challenge dancing and singing all the way across their will be days! Now start your route again!!!!

"Go to the lakes"?

Edward, with respect, I don't think you have done a Challenge yet. When you do, I hope you really enjoy doing it your way and gain great satisfaction from it. I hope, also, you will meet and enjoy the company of other Challengers all doing it their way and not judge them if it is different to your way.

I did my first Challenge with a purist mentality, carrying the food for the whole journey, picking the toughest route I could. I finished it, but hated every minute and swore I wouldn't go back. I did eventually, just to see if I could do it and enjoy it. I built in more fun, more resupplies, more rest. Now, I'm addicted.

That's my way. It suits me but I don't expect it to suit everyone.

Vanessa

Edward

You may well have walked Scottish hills extensively. Others may not have. Very often a first timer's Challenge is all about getting to the east coast under their own steam.

May I politely suggest you let Joseph decide on his own Challenge. Your idea of what the Challenge is about may not match that of others.

Thank you
Alan

Hi Edward. Thanks for your message. You do set the bar high for yourself and that's impressive. Fortunately I don't set such high standards for myself and I know I will not be beating myself up in any way if I do manage to get across the country and dip my toe in the waters off the east coast. In fact, just the opposite, I will be feeling very pleased with myself. Of course, at some point in the future I might feel the need to raise the bar and I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I look forward to meeting you in Montrose and hearing about your trip. We can compare notes on how we have done against our personal challengometer scores. Best wishes

I think it is important to bear in mind that the rules of the Challenge are those - and only those - which are set out in the document sent by the Challenge Organisers and setting out the rules of the Challenge.

Different people may choose to put their own interpretation of the meaning of "self-supporting"; but it is perfectly clear from the rubric of the official Challenge document that "self-supporting" does NOT mean never staying in a B&B, hostel, guest house, bunk house or hotel; it does NOT mean never sending supply parcels ahead to strategic locations; and it does NOT mean going up every hill along the way rather than around it unless the weather forces you to stay low.

Some people choose, for their own personal reasons, and to make it their own personal challenge, to impose one or more of these disciplines upon themselves. That is fine, and good luck to them. I admire their tenacity. BUT never let it be said that any of these approaches is necessary; because they are not. A Challenge in which the Challenger uses B&B, hostel, guest house, hunk house and hotel accommodation, sends resupply parcels to wait for them at strategic point, and stays low all the way across is a Challenge none the less. And a Challenger who gets all the way across by such means is a Great Outdoors Challenger just as much as anyone else.

Plan the Challenge YOU want to do; and don't let anybody tell you that it is somehow less valid because it doesn't conform to THEIR idea of what constitutes a challenge for THEM. If your idea differ, all it means it that you're unlikely to be joining up as walking partners any time soon.

Have fun, boys and girls ... Challenge Time is nearly with us once again (it must be ... I've finished writing up my 2015 crossing ... )

Perfectly put Jeremy. Thank you.

Yes. Well done Jeremy.
So sad that one comes across in life those who feel that their way is the only right way. (Actually it defies logic when you analyse it)
Just think how many conflicts, global and otherwise, would simply not have happened had this concept been totally absent from the human pysche.

Luckily we rarely encounter this amongst our great family of Challengers, who have the maturity and generosity to encourage all fellow participants no matter how different their approaches may be.

Another first timer here with a couple questions:

1. A social route is mentioned, what are some examples of some places to be where there will be other challengers? I don't necessarily need anyone to travel with from point to point, but knowing some frequented campsites or towns would help. Right now I am tentatively starting at Shiel Bridge, then working my way to Fort augustus, Aviemore, Braemar, and ending in Stonehaven.

2. I'm flying in from the US and worried about being able to get fuel for my stove once I arrive. I'm flying into Glasgow, is it easy enough to catch a bus to an outdoor store or should I attempt to have a fuel cannister mailed to my start point?

Thanks in advance everyone! And I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as the Challenge draws nearer

There are several outdoor stores in Glasgow close to the railway and bus stations, so gas and Meths and gear not an issue.
Also there will be zillions of Challengers at Glasgow.

As far as Social Hubs.
Depending upon your route and start point there are

Starts, Oban, Mallaig, Shiel Bridge, Lochailort, Strathcarron
will all have quite a few starters

On route across

Fort William, Fort Augustus, , Poss Blair Athol, Aviemore, Braemar, Ballater, Loch Callater Lodge (2nd Sun),
Tarfside (2nd Tue), Northwater Bridge.

So your intended route is pretty sociable already.

All these are known social hotspots

Others will be along shortly to suggest others, or to correct me.

It's a big happy family in the main is the Challenge.

Cannich, Drumnadrochit, Newtonmore, Kingussie, Ballater, just a few social points to add into the, all possible from Shiel Bridge aswell as a few other start points.

Never mind Cannich - there were a fair few of us at Tomich, too, in 2015

I'm finding it difficult to book accommodation in Montrose, so a back up option for me would be to stay somewhere like Stonehaven and use the train to get to/from the dinner (the last train from Montrose leaves about a quarter to midnight). However, what are the timings are the dinner? What time does it start / end?

I have to confess, when I do long distance walks I get very tired and I'm generally asleep by 10pm so I probably won't be much company!

Jeremy, could you tell me more about the hunk houses? Id really like to find at least a couple of them. :sunglasses:

Good luck on your crossing! Some excellent advice so far and some excellent blogs contain pages and pages of information on things like food, gear and so on and so forth, so I won't duplicate that.

Most important in my opinion:

- Psychology/attitude.

If you start the endeavour thinking you won't finish then it will be an uphill struggle on the wet, crap days when you are hurting. If you are uncertain, think what things you need to do in order to make sure you do. Maybe build in some social hubs to your route to meet other Challengers to boost your morale? Consider packing certain foods which always lifts your spirits, or even planning a pub meal after an especially difficult couple of days. Perhaps you'd like to drop in to a certain whisky distillery for a dram or two en-route?

- Gear

Loads of blogs on this. Try to trim it down if possible, but number one is always you're comfortable in expected conditions and you've used it before taking it. I wouldn't want to be caught with a new backpack and forcing myself to walk 200 miles with it after I realised by mile 30 that the hip belt is rubbish and chafes me, for example.

- Food

Dehydrated food is useful. I put together my breakfasts and dehydrated all my evening meals last year with a dehydrator, and frankly it was quite the hassle and not as cost effective as I expected it to be. I'd recommend Basecampfoods or similar, removes the hassle, lets you have variety and they do offer split shipping for the challenge. I took 7 days of food with a weight of 3kg but I'm told this strategy is the exception, with most bringing 3-5 days and restocking from small shops.

- Feet

Be proactive in managing your feet. This isn't moot for those choosing an easier route, either. I passed people who did 3 days of low level walking at a slow pace and still managed to ruin their feet by day 4. This will have a significant impact on the enjoyment of your crossing so it's worth getting right.

Lastly, plan what -you- will enjoy. Some people love leisurely long days, take loads of pictures and stop at pubs whenever they can; some are in the middle of the hills and flying up and down mountains - there is no 'right' way.