​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2016 Challenge - Standby List

Good News to all of you who have applied for the 2016 Challenge! In consultation with us, Kelsey Media have increased the intake and, therefore, there will not be a standby list at this point, as it is unlikely these extra places will be filled by October 31st. We will continue to accept entries on a first-come-first-serve basis until such times as the new limit is reached up until November 30th. So, if you did your 10th or 20th crossing in 2015 feel free to apply for 2016.

Re: 2016 Challenge - Standby List

Thanks for cheering up a gloomy day!

Oooooh. Better blow the dust off those maps and start planning, then.

Hi Ali, Hi Sue

Does that mean that those of us who would have expected to have been on the standby list, (tenners & twentyers) who have already had notification from you that their entries have been received will get on and be notified at the original shut-off date of 31st October, or will we have to wait until November 30th, or when the places have been filled?

Alan
x

Is anyone from TGO going to answer my question? Is anyone monitoring this discussion?

Surely Ali & Sue ticked the "notify me" box when they posted this?

Just sayin'...

It's awfully quiet...

Punctuality - It's the loneliness I can't stand...

GREAT NEWS. Time to order new maps, think about getting new warm gear ( just in case), and cleaning the liver .............., how to get to the East coast without road walking.

William

Don't stress, Alan, they are probably very busy, there's surely no urgency, and you'll be seeing Sue and Ali tomorrow.

Ta for that, Martin! I had completely forgotten that.
:-)

Better start packing.

Where are we going?
Who are you?
Someone's stealing my socks, you know.

hi All,
what has happened to this site! first of all it seem very had to find it now
This used to be the mane hub for the challenge, it used to be about what gear
to find tents, food, boots, and banter, what has happened to it,
as I've not been on it for quite a wile I found it a challenge just finding it,
maybe that's why!!!
P.S
I'm Back!!!!

Terry leyland
hi All,

P.S
I'm Back!!!!

Wowza!
El Tel! Howdy SweetPants! Oh - I forgot. You'll be wearing the kilt again?

Snog snog!
Alan

hi bill, that was a bit low mate,
this site is not for airing dirty washing,
we are all a band of brothers on here and on the challenge.
lets keep it that way and all meet up for a dram!!!
xxx

I would be interested just how large the crowd might be crossing Scotland and if any new start points are being considered. I need to start making reservations.

Congrats to all applying by the 31st, see you in May.

Oh, isn't that just typical?! The one year I get a guaranteed place there's no standby list!

I must remember to be gracious and revel in everyone else's good fortune!

Splendid news, Cocktails (and Cheese & Wine?) here we come!

JJ

That is exciting news . I'd better have a think about a route now - although I've already roughly planned out a few possibilities!

Sorry if I am being dim. This is my first TGO challenge. Does your message mean we all have a place? Are we still waiting for a draw? Thanks

Hi Joseph, and welcome to the Challenge!
It would seem that everyone who has entered so far has a place on the 2016 Challenge, at least that is my understanding. Congratulations!
Now, get planning. There's always plenty of people happy to help on here, just ignore the grumpy ones. Enjoy
Louise

Dear Sirs.

This appears to be a good news thread.
Might I suggest taking your squabble elsewhere.

Settle it like chaps behind the bike shed.

Now back to my planning & happy thoughts.

I am taking all this thread as a definite in.

Am I the only Challenger not happy about this decision? In the early days of the Challenge the entry was limited to 250 the theory being to reduce the impact of too many walkers crossing wild areas of the Highlands and to give some idea of solitude and remoteness enabling Challengers to experience one of the last wilderness areas of the UK.
Over the years the entry has grown to over 300 and now it seems being unlimited it could be an open ended event. I am not sure if this is a one off for 2016 or will be continued in years to come. In some years past there have been around 400 entries, so I am asking if this is idea good for the event or just for those extra people who will now get on to the Challenge next year.

I, too, am slightly uneasy at the potential effect of increased numbers - although we do not know (from Sue and Ali's post) exactly what the increased intake will be. It is possible that numbers were lower this year [partly due to the £50 entry fee?] and that the increased intake is only a few extra people.

An unlimited, or significantly increased, intake would seem to contradict the statements made in previous years that numbers are limited partly to protect the wilderness and the infrastructure of the Challenge area.

Whilst I understand the stresses of life on the Standby list, a vastly increased intake may have a negative effect on the event in my opinion.

Is this only for those who did their 10th or 20th crossing in 2015? Or do I get more time to swither about the Challenge or finishing off the Cape Wrath Trail?

From my reading of the initial post anyone who has applied will get on. There is an increased total entry but there is no indication as to what that is. If you have not already applied you can do so and will be accepted until the unstated limit is reached.
If I am wrong someone will be along shortly to clarify the position.

I read the original post the same way, Peter. I think it would be good to know the number limit. As we know from the past, there is a natural reduction in the number of successful applicants through illness, family and work commitments etc, and these places have traditionally been filled from the standby list.

I must confess that I couldn't really see the point of this, as, knowing the average fallout, surely the simplest remedy would be to front load the number accepted by that amount and then let natural wastage take its toll. Thus if you apply and get on, then you're on. If not, you're not. At least every applicant knows where they stand from the start and can plan accordingly.

Yes, it would be wrong to have too many participants, and I hope that has been taken into consideration when determining the new number limit - whatever that may be.

My initial reaction was similar to Pete's ... but I can see Phil's point too.

If this is to become standard for the future, though, does that mean that in future there will be no following-year detriment visited on 10, 20 and 30 (and 40??) timers? If not, then Judith should cheer up at the fact that she won't have any bother next year, rather than ruing hte waste of her guaranteed entry for her 10th (says he who was a 10-timer last year and is DELIGHTED not to have to be hovering on the standby list like a vulture, watching all those successful applicants and waiting for one to drop off their perch ...

Also, may I comment on a possible reason for this approach - reduction of administrative costs? I don't know how much it actually cost to administer the standby list, but I am sure that this approach is less expensive. We all want to keep th ecosts under control, don't we?

Hi
I sent of my entry form a little later than most of you so when I received my acknowledgement there was a comment about this which maybe some of you did not get.

(From memory which is not perfect, so sorry if this isn't exact).

As a 10 timer I was due to be on the standby list, but the number of challengers had been increased to much the same as normally apply. Therefore it was quite possible that there would be no standby list.

I am guessing that the number would be around 400, and if everybody is on, there will be no standby list. therefore as folk drop out for whatever reason, the final number is likely to drop to about 350.

This isn't a big increase but accommodation in a few hot spots is already limited, and in places reducing. Montrose and Braemar campsites are getting more restricted in the numbers they can take.

Colin

Accommodation is indeed tricky! Montrose camp site currently has no website (probably a good thing, nothing worse than thinking you're booked somewhere to find it closed for business when you get there...) Had to search for a b&b, which, luckily, I found. The start point is, however, proving tricky...

Ali & Sue, thanks for the update, and your negotiations to place standby list in bin for 2016 is really appreciated

i,m walking the cape wrath trail next year so all no stand by list does n,t concern me but has anyone noticed that the clock on the top is still one hour fast

Apologies for the late reply - we are away for a few days - even coordinators need the occasional day off! Yes everyone who has applied by 31st October will have a place this year whether they are on their first or umpteenth Challenge or even if they did their 10th or 20th crossing last year.

With regard to numbers they have only been increased by 30 so the aim is to accept 350 so it is likely 320 will start as some will inevitably withdraw before the event. Entries have been coming in thick and fast this week so we may well hit the 350 in the next week or so. Hopefully an extra 30 won't put too much pressure on the landscape, accommodation providers etc

SWEET

Very sweet news Andy. Route just needs a write up and check. Happy days.

I couldn't have put it better myself, Andy.

Sue and Ali, thank you for such a nice surprise last week - now I am reassured there won't be 500 Challengers fighting for camp sites.

Crikey, better get planning...

Thanks that's clear. Gulp -I'd better get planning and training!

Blimey, we're in then?

Better start planning.

It's great to hear we're all in and I'm now looking forward to my 2nd challenge. As a sociable sole I now need to plan on how to get from Lochcarron to link in with the cocktail party and as for camping in Montrose ?. Time to to get the thinking cap on. slanj

Re: 2016 Challenge - Standby List Great news. We will start planning soon.

Great news -- TGO - Team Canada will be there !
Four of us. Dara, Liam, Brendan and Adam.