​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Zephyros 1/Laser Competition Tent query

I love my Trailstar, but it has such a big footprint that on two occasions this year I have had to keep going long after the time I had planned to camp because I could not find a space big enough to pitch. I walked past smaller tent sized pitches during my searches which was annoying. I have decided to go back to a tent for next season. I am considering the Zephyros 1 by Terra Nova, which is based on their Laser Competition but costs about £150 less for the cost of 0.6kg.

I have also seen the Zephyros 1 Lite, which seems to be basically the same, but with heavier guylines and two more pegs. I would probably use my own peg set anyhow and may do my own thing with guys, so don't think I would go for the Zephyros 1 Lite.

I know people who love the Laser. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Zephyros 1? Is there anything else out there which I ought to be considering for next season?

Re: Zephyros 1/Laser Competition Tent query

Hi
I've entered the TGO and if I get in will be using a Zepyros 1 Lite.
The fabric on the Lite gives the weight saving over that of the std. If you use your own pegs you may save a little more.
I have actually added a few pegs for ease of pitching / use.
My weights are:
Zephros 1 Lite 1180
Footprint 264
Drybag 42 Total 1.486kg

I have a Laser Comp 1 and a Zephyros 2, which I bought cheap for shorter trips (wanting a bit more room inside sometimes, despite the extra weight). I still find myself going for the Comp all the time though as I found the shorter headroom when sitting up in the middle of the Zephyros 2 quite annoying (and the less deep porch), though I loved its extra head room at the ends, esp. with a thick inflatable mat.

The Zephyros 1 is same height as the 2: compared with the Comp 1 it's 8cm shorter in the middle, but 10cm taller at head/foot ends, according to Terra Nova website anyway.

(Anyone want to buy a lightly used Zephyros 2? )

Personally I would ignore the footprint and stick with the Trailstar, easpecially if you have an inner.
With a TS, the only real important footprint is the sleeping area.

You can pick up a Zephyros 1 for under £100.
but it still weighs in at 1570 g

I'd certainly rather have one of Bobs hexPeak V4's, or look for an original second hand one (slightly smaller on Flea Bay or Gear exchange sites.

It doesn't really come in any heavier and costs max £159

I suspect the Zephyros will flap about just like the Laser Comp.

Mid's are so much stronger.

Just my opinion

Prob depends on what you want to spend on a second tent.

I've got a LaserComp and an Akto. The LaserComp is fine tent although it can get noisy in windy conditions. Loads of folk use them and like them hugely (as I do) but it's a smaller tent than the Akto and I'm not convinced it would stand up to the hammer in the way an Akto would.

On the other hand my Akto weighs 1.6kg.

JJ

I have a Laser comp but I will be using my Tarptent Notch. I'm 6ft 3ins and find I have up to 20cm more headroom than my comp because it uses trekking poles rather than tent poles. Its 800g all in and because you can raise or lower the profile it's a good design for windy areas. There's some info on it in a recent TGO edition in an article on the Cape Wraith Trail. I would use the 2 additional guidelines though in exposed camps. On the downside it is a US company and costs approx £300 after paying import tax. A Danish company also sells them but it is still pricey. Happy gear shopping.

Marcher