​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vanishing Wilderness

Thanks, Alan Sloman, for your take on the Monadh Liath. I have always loved these hills for their seclusion and wilderness, and I sang their praises in my book (the account of my own 1999 long walk - search Amazon for Ken Proudler) which included a full account of the 1999 TGO Challenge. Although at the time I was unaware of the havoc that wind farms would wreak on the Scottish landscape some of my words were almost prophetic:

“I am as fond as any hillgoer of standing at a viewpoint and imagining that the view before me has been unchanged down the millennia, from long before I was born; and that it will remain unchanged for centuries after I am gone. Deep down inside, however, I know that this is not true.
Man has removed most of the natural woodland that once decorated the scene, to build ships and houses, so that the hills definitely do not look the same as they might have done for thousands of years. Here and there he has replaced it with unsightly rows of conifers that ruin the view and block the walker's route. He has also added dams and reservoirs. In fact most of Scotland's biggest lochs owe their size, or even their very presence, to man's desire to store water. I prefer not to imagine what he will do to the view in the future.”

Having harvested away all of the natural woodland, man is now harvesting the wind, with the huge noisy windmills destroying the view, the peace and quiet, and all sense of seclusion.

Re: Vanishing Wilderness

Thank you Ken.

So everyone is not confused, Ken's referring to a blog piece I wrote a couple of days ago extolling the magic of the Monadh Liath, which is the seventh part of my TGO write up.

You can find it by clicking the link below:

TGO Challenge 2015, Pt VII: Magnificent Monadh Liath

Cheers Ken!