​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Montrose Campsite

Eek! That's a bit tricky. Last couple of years I've hired a pod there, to save being cold, cramped and wet in a tent. Fab option. Will be a bit miffed if I can't do that again!

Not really surprised by this news after seeing last May how much cash has been spent on the site. If Montrose Council cannot assist in providing somewhere for Challengers to camp maybe it is time to consider moving Control to Stonehaven where there is plenty of accommodation and a new Caravan Club camp site which will accept bookings for tents.

The campsite hasn't been the same, certainly for tent campers, since it was privatised.

I echo Peter O'Ddard's suggestion of Stonehaven as a very suitable alternative.

JJ

Stonehaven as a finishing point would, IMO, be much better than Montrose BUT I think the problem is that there isn't really any hotel that could host the Thursday dinner. There isn't really much accommodation in Stonehaven at all.

I've been looking at the Caravan Club site at Stonehaven on-line as I've been thinking about finishing in Stonehaven on the Wednesday late afternoon/evening, spending the night there before moving onto Montrose in the morning.

According to their website, there are only three pitches for tents at their Stonehaven site, which were only available to use this year between 12th June and 13th September. This seems somewhat restrictive - does anyone have any experience of camping in Stonehaven after this year's TGOC? Or any other knowledge about camping there? Thanks.

I've been to Stonehaven in my camper van. The site really isn't able to accommodate a large number of tents.

Good news We have received the following from Angus Council:

"South Links Caravan Park in now being managed by the council. The touring side of the business is currently closed for the season but will re-open for normal business in March 2016
Some essential maintenance is currently being carried out and we are also working on booking procedures, charges, park rules , staffing to mention but a few of the tasks that will have to be in place for the start of the 2016 season."

Thanks to Alistair for raising the issue and Humphrey for finding the right man to ask!

That is good news . Many thanks for finding that info out - it's very useful to know .

Let's hope that the campsite stays in council hands.