​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Derek Emsley

SAD news, as it always is, when a legend dies.
My condolences to his family at this time.
Gone, but never forgotten!

I have just picked this up. I am saddened by the news. In my early challenger years I often came across Derek and later on when Derek ceased challenging often found him keeping an eye on the new breed of challengers. My sympathies to his family.
Russ

Both Avril & I are very sad to hear this news. I knew Derek from the early years of the Challenge. Sometimes irascible and prepared to upset folk with his opinions which were always genuinely held but not always agreed with. He was also the first to help out any Challenger needing assistance, he was full of advice which was generously given. After his tenth Challenge, when we all had to take a compulsory year off, he took his camper van around the Challenge circuit passing out generous amounts of tea and sandwiches; all at no cost.
Known as the original Mr. Grumpy, a title I am proud to inherit, he will be missed. I am now raising a glass to his memory and send our condolences to Marion and his family.

That's sad news in deed, he was a character and the original Mr grumpy
in a nice way,
my condolences to Marion and family.

The local newspaper, the Strathspey and Badenoch Herald, (The Strathy), in the edition published on 29 October has an extensive obituary of Derek, written by Peter Evans, well known to older Challengers.

RIP

Derek helped me with a booking on my first challenge, and I dropped in and visited him on the way through, met Marian. Lovely couple. They had spent some time down under, even in areas local to me, so we had a good connection. I took the time to visit during my 2013 challenge with family and we had a pleasant afternoon recalling my last visit and places we both knew in Australia.

I send my sympathy to Marian.

Mike