​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boots

Suffered dreadful blisters on the balls of my feet one through not having enough cushioning. Trail shoes don't appeal to me because of this and because cold wet feet doesn't help someone like me that suffers Raynauds. I have worn Meindl Burmas with Custom Superfeet on my last three Challenges and I love them to bits.
Trouble is, it's all very personal...

Suffered dreadful blisters on the balls of my feet one Challenge through not having enough cushioning. Trail shoes don't appeal to me because of this and because cold wet feet doesn't help someone like me that suffers Raynauds. I have worn Meindl Burmas with Custom Superfeet on my last three Challenges and I love them to bits.
Trouble is, it's all very personal...

Oops.

Thanks for all your replies i guess i will go and try a few pairs on and see how they feel. The x socks sound very good and i may be grabbing a few pairs of them.

Salomon Quest 4D GTX have worked well for me for 5 crossings. Just one pair of thick socks or a medium sock and a liner. The other trick is to insert a thin gel insole underneath the removable footbed - I do that on all my boots. Dr Scholls make a suitable gel insole about 3 or 4mm thick and you cut them to size. There are probably other good ones too.

thanks kirsten good idea with the gel pads. i will have a look at those boots. was thinking about the salomons so next week i will be looking out for them. not sure what choice i will have in brighton as thats near me they should be a fair few shops about as we have the south downs on our door step

Stefan,

I know some people love the Salomons, personally I didn't as they did not have enough of a heel block from me and I slid all over the place. This year I used the Scarpa R-Evo GTX and they were comfy from the off and still are.

Funny enough I was watching a YouTube vid on them from the founder of go outdoors. They seem good for narrow feet so I will be trying them once I get the urge to finally buy a pair

Hi Stefan what ever you do dont take any notice of Terry
and mind he dose not get you lost on the Callenge

There is no doubt he will get us lost that's for sure haha

Stefan,

Not sure about narrow - mine feet are wide and they fit well, but there is a lot of adjustment. They were quite a bit lighter than my Meindl Softline Top's that I wore the two years before that. No blisters, and a couple of 18+ mile days (don't ask) - with a heavy pack (also, don't ask). I am the Antithesis of many lovely people on this board.

I personally think that getting the socks right is at least as important as getting the boots right.

I like Teko pure wool socks, which I have found to be excellent, but not cheap. I carry enough that I can always have a fresh pair on every day, and a couple of spares so I can change into something dry if my feet take a complete dunking in a burn or a bog.

Take your socks off as soon as you get to camp or bothy, and let some air get to your feet during the evening and overnight. If possible, take your boots or shoes off at rest stops, too, to give the socks a chance to air.

Yeah socks are going to be a must this time around not sure I will change them every day like but I will definitely be airing them and maybe some talc would help