​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dogs

The Challenge goes through sheep grazing land in lambing time. The presence of dogs in a field, even under close control, can panic pregnant or mothering ewes, leading to abortion or abandonment of lambs. Cows with calves will also react robustly. It still seems a sensible prohibition to preserve relations with the people whose land we walk through.

John,

I thought it would be a more complicated answer.

Re: animal welfare, food supply and carrying problems, waste disposal, health checks (vet not vetter), accommodation problems (hotels, B & B, some hostels), the cheese and wine party's would be a bit more exciting, dog fights, etc.

I have used collies with no problems but I can appreciate that a strange dog may cause concern among some sheep.

In the parts of the country that I have transited on the challenge there have been almost zero woolly animals. Sheep may be a bit more numerous in the farming areas.

Thanks for the reply.

Hello

Hamish regularly walked with his dogs in May, as indeed did I, without encountering problems. However, I can well appreciate the damage to the Challenge's reputation if even one dog was caught sheep worrying. I saw three examples of badly behaved people letting their dogs chase sheep in the Lake District recently.

Afoot, thanks for your reply.

I suppose nesting birds could also be disturbed by badly controlled dogs.

Most dogs that I see hill walking are usually well behaved but perhaps that is more a testament to their owners.

Any out of control dogs that I have come across seem to be close to towns, being pursued by their hapless owners.

Sadly, as a crofter living a little north of the Challenge area, I can testify that people with out of control dogs are not few and far between. I have been told things like: "He doesn't want to hurt the sheep, he just wants to play!". My response is usually: "Has anyone told the sheep that?" but they miss the point that a dog doesn't have to attack sheep to do damage. It just has to frighten them and they are very easily frightened, particularly at lambing time.

Quite so, Vanessa.

We have the same issue with our horses. I've lost count of ht etimes people have told me "Oh, but my dog's VERY good with horses". It doesn't matter HOW good the dog is with horses, I'm afraid, because my horse isn't good with dogs.

If the sheep or birds are going to take fright, then they're going to take fright - regardless of how well behaved the dog. And those sheep and birds are somebody's livelihood.

83Ce7n

One other problem that has not been mentioned.

Cattle.

I worked on a farm when I was younger. The boot was on the other foot one day when I went to check some beasts.

I had the farm dog with me, not for the first time, he was just walking beside me not on a lead.

The cows were at the far end of the field. All of a sudden it was like something out of the old cowboy movies.

They started stampeding towards me, being slightly concerned (i.e. cowardly) I told the dog to stay while I legged it over the nearest dyke.

Give the dog his due he stayed where I had told him. Surrounded by cattle until I gave him a whistle.

The cows were not intimidated by the dog apparently just curious according to the farmer who I worked for.

A herd of cows can take some stopping.