​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ticks and Lyme Disease

Ticks didn't have a known natural enemy but Dutch research has shown that ticks can be killed by Nematodes (little wormy things). 60% of the ticks infested by Nematodes are killed within 10 days.

Now, how to get rid of the Almighty Midge ?

Theo

I was fortunate this year not to encounter ticks in Scotland (though I am often attacked by the little b's here at home in the Lakes - even in mid-winter; the problem is definitely getting worse). I take care to be 'tick-aware' but they just love me.
For interest, I recently came across this idea for a multi-use repellent to try as an alternative to the usual deet (skin) or permethrin (fabrics):
'In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.
Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks.
After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine your skin and hair when back inside to make sure no ticks are on the body.' I just wondered if anyone had tried this formula, and if it works?

After 9 tick-free crossings, I had my first tick this year, mid-way across. Despite having a specialized tick-remover, I failed to remove it cleanly, and some of the mandible remained embedded in the wound.

On the Sunday after the Challenge I began to feel unwell. Symptoms so-far have been flu-like fever and joint pains; general weakness; stiff neck (although this may be an unconnected side-effect of the long journey home) and a very severe stomach upset which may or may not be linked to the other symptoms.

I am keeping an open mind, but will be making an appointment to have blood tests for Lyme disease, just as soon as my stomach is sufficiently settled to be able to leave the house.

The blood tests are not always conclusive and some GPs will administer antibiotics as a precaution if they suspect the tick bite might be the cause, rather than wait. Even the distinctive bulls-eye shaped rash is not always present.

A good source of information on Lyme Disease in UK is wwww.bada-uk.org (Borrliosis and Associated Disease Awareness UK). FAQ's is a good starting point.
If you think your at risk see your GP.

Having extracted a tick from my leg (inflicted on the Moray Coast) on the 2013 Challenge I then made the mistake of ignoring the persistant red rash which occurred around the site of the bite. Don't ask me why - I must be an idiot as I had read up all the relevant articles and thought I was savvy. Maybe it was because it wasn't the typical bull's eye rash. Anyhow a visit to the Doc some three months later and a subsequent blood test proved positive for Lyme's disease. Now I consider myself a lucky person as I seem to have suffered no ill effects at all, or none that have shown up so far. I guess it could have been more serious. Worth getting it checked out if you are at all worried though I believe a blood test is not always immediately conclusive.

Not a single tick this year!

Sue (a pharmacist) has asked me to post this link to a four page factsheet from Public Health England regarding tick bites.
We were lucky this year - she's prone to picking them up, especially when wearing shorts, and got a couple this year, but I have yet to encounter one in 9 Challenges. Perhaps camping high helps.

Thanks Sue via Martin - I need to conduct more thorough Tick checks in future. Every bug in Knoydart bit me during the first 2 days this year but as these were immediately itchy bites I just enjoyed the pleasure of scratching them raw. % days in though I noticed a 5cm circular red blotch(not a bullseye) under my watch strap. I'll get the results of my blood draw on Friday.

Only picked up three of the little bu..ers this year- my poorest score for many a long Challenge. In recent tests, eight out of ten ticks (that expressed an opion) preferred scrummy, yummy vetta blood to that of common or garden, ordinary Challengers - am I doing something wrong?. On a more serious note surely we would spend half of our lives at the doctors if we responded to just about every tick bite we got which then left some sort of a mark afterwards. Do we actually become immune after numerouse attacks??

cj

Is it possible that some of us have a natural immunity to ticks and if so who and why ? After five Challenges, countless other backpacking trips in Scotland, the Lakes and Wales and lots of orienteering in bracken I've yet to find myself bitten. Not that I'm complaining.
Others seem to be targeted every Challenge.
Is there any science or logic to this ?

Ticks see infrared. Perhaps you've got less 'radiation' of heat than others ?