​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Compass reverse polarity - don't keep your compass near your camera.

I was planning to keep my compass and camera in a hip belt pocket so I did an experiment to see if it might be affected. Click on the link to see the result.

Don't keep your compass near your camera

There was a surprisingly large effect - so, it's not worth risking this.

Re: Compass reverse polarity - don't keep your compass near your camera.

A very timely warning, Ian. I had compass go haywire in the Picos de Europa three years ago.

A clever feature of the Osprey hydration bladder is that instead of a fiddly clip it has a magnetic stowage point on the chest strap so it easily snaps into position. Unfortunately I keep my compass in a pouch attached to the shoulder strap of my rucksack, which in this case was right next to the mouthpiece clip.

On the second day I suddenly realised that the sun was in the wrong place! And even then I spent a confused half hour trying to believe the compass over the gps

I hadn't thought of the effects of camera & phone - thanks for the tip.

Re: Compass reverse polarity - don't keep your compass near your camera.

I experienced a similar phenomenon of the same ilk last year. Having walked from Kinlochleven by way of Loch Treig, I stopped at the railway bridge and took a glug of water and a breather. I then considered the remaining hours of daylight, and decided there was sufficient time to get up and over the Munro. I surveyed the skyline, compared it to the map, and decided which was the top I was aiming for. Then I took a bearing, just to be sure ... and the bearing to the top I had selected was NOTHING LIKE the bearing the map told me it should be if that were indeed my Munro.

This puzzled me.

I remained puzzled for some time ... but eventually it occurred to me that if you stand under a ruddy great slab of cast iron designed to carry railway trains safely overhead, this might just affect the performance of your compass ...