​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Snow = Boots or still wearing shoes?

So who is changing there foot wear from shoes to boots due to the snow and if not what precautions will you make with shoes in anticipation of snow?

Re: Snow = Boots or still wearing shoes?

Still planning shoes at the moment. Plan to do the Lairg Ghru but might have to take the FWA via Feshie- would rather that than have to put up with boots... unsure if I should buy micro spikes though...

(LOCHAILORT TO ST CYRUS)

Shoes...Terrocs!
Used shoes for years.
Even used them in Cairngorms in March
Will have spikes as precaution in West but may post home at some point.
That will depend on ground conditions.

A friend of mine went through the Lairig recently and she said there was hard-packed snow at the Pools of Dee. With the extensive recent snowfall, I think that trying this in shoes, even with spikes, would be pushing it. Of course, we may get a heatwave in the next week and it'll all melt!

With the rain hammering down here I'm even insidering my Grub wellie boots! Seriously good sole.... (wonder if anyone HAS done the challenge in wellies?....)

Yes! Quincy (who else) many years ago in some Scandinavian wellies.

I did many fine walks through and over Irish bogs years ago in Nokia Bog Trotters green wellies from Scandinavia, which were great and comfortable. I remember one fine day on the Kerry Reeks when every know-it-all hillgoing Johnny I passed felt compelled to give out to me about the stupidity of inadequate footwear and such like. I think the company gave up on the wellies to concentrate on mobile phones.

My Grub Boots have a vibram sole and I can walk all day in them... not sure about 2 weeks though.. think they would need chucked afterwards...