​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Glen Nevis wild caming

On Thursday afternoon after dropping off a Challenge parcel at the B&B in Fort William I hiked up Glen Nevis intending to wild camp beside the River Nevis somewhere between near the old grave yard and Polldubh as I have done many times in the past. I was dismayed to find numerous "NO Camping" and "No Overnight Stays" signs at various locations along the glen. Although I did not consider these signs to be legal I did not want to get into a possible confrontational situation and aborted at Polldubh to return to the Glen Nevis camp site. There I got over my concerns to the Estate rep in the reception who explained that on numerous occasions they have had major problems with groups wild camping and leaving litter, damage and anti-social behaviour and the signs were put up to discourage specifically this and was not intended in any way to discourage legitimate people like me(us). I explained that the signs could in no way be regarded as legal in respect of the Scottish Land Reform Act and put people myself in a very difficult position. He fully accepted my argument.

Equally I guess we have to consider miss-use of popular locations like Glen Nevis and certainly would not want to see a spread of the heavy-handed camping legislation/restrictions on east Loch Lomond-side which soon might be applied to several other parts of of the Loch Lomond Nation Park.

Obviously now up to the conscience of any Challengers planning to wild pitch in the glen- the campsite is very, very nice.

cj