​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Snow Report 2

Just a quick update on snow conditions. I was on Lochnagar today and there's a lot of snow and it's still snowing. Fresh snow is settling down to about 600m but I would expect that to quickly melt at that elevation especially as it's forecast to warm up a little.

There are winter snow patches from 600m upwards, with the larger patches higher up and on North and East facing slopes. These patches are hard ice having been thawed and refrozen several times and the danger is of steeping onto one of these without realising it due to the thin cover of fresh spring snow. If this is on any kind of slope then you will rapidly disappear out of sight at 9.81m/sec2!!
Above about 900m today navigation was very tricky with heavy snow falling and in the clouds - near whiteout conditions.

Challengers planning higher levels this year then have a choice of either using their FWA's liberally, or being prepared to take significant detours around snow patches or carry ice axe and crampons. Difficult choices...

Only 1 week to go!

Re: Snow Report 2

I was out at c. 800m in the Glenshee area on Thursday in ankle deep snow and brass monkey winds. Sleet and heavy rain in Perth today and a lot worse higher up. Am busy working out how many extra warm layers I can carry.

Re: Snow Report 2

If you haven't checked already, you may be interested to know that there were two last avalanche forecasts issued yesterday from the SAIS for Lochaber (moderate) and the Northern Cairngorms (considerable).

Also of interest will be the forecasters' blog pages for Lochaber and the Northern Cairngorms which show details and photographs of current conditions.

There is quite a bit of snow up there.