​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Travel, best solution? Montrose - Mallaig

Vi glæder os over Vikingerne til Den Udfordring !!

Ian is absolutely correct. The UK rail system is beyond bizarre.

Sure, typically it is better to buy two tickets - Montrose > Glasgow and Glasgow > Mallaig.

But . . . For May 07 and 08 it is cheaper to buy a through ticket! Why? Well, some fifty Challengers have taken up the entire allocation for the 12:21 Glasgow > Mallaig train on Thursday 07.

But the Virgin East Coast ticketing system has not understood this. So far.

So, go to Virgin Trains East Coast and you will pay £42.10 for a through ticket.

Two seperate tickets on these dates would cost you £53.00

But be quick! Book your tickets Right Now - before they figure out their error!!

When you complete the transaction, choose the default collection option - Ticket on Departure at the station.

You will need the credit/debit card that you used to make your booking. And the eight-position alpha/numeric booking code.

You can collect your ticket at the automated ticket machine in Montrose.

Simples!

Any problems, contact me off-forum

Medbring venligst Sofie Gråbøl og Sidse Babett Knudsen . . .

Ian, Theo & Humphrey - you just saved us about £130 - Thank you SO much!!
If you run into us at a pub, you got yourself a free pint (preferably Carlsberg - another good thing from Denmark just after Sofie Gråbøl og Sidse Babett Knudsen)

We will also be found around the following seats from Glasgow Queen Street - Mallaig (7. May, 12:21, Coach A, Seat 10A, 11A & 12A). Beer will be available.

All the best!
/Rasmus, Michael & Thomas - The three danish vikings

I don't know about better, but you can do it a lot cheaper if you travel by bus/coach. I just got a quote for £120.30 for 3 people for the Dundee - Broxden - Inverness - Ft William sections, which are the only bookable parts, so I guess you would be likely to pay about £50 each. It takes a bit longer but not £40 - worth each longer, in my opinion.

Details follow (copied from travelinescotland journey planner - I input Montrose High St to Mallaig 7 May leaving after 9 am and unticked all the boxes except bus and coach)

Leave09:45
Montrose, Stop 2 Co-op on High Street
Service NumberX7
Provider Stagecoach Strathtay
RouteAberdeen - Perth
view on map
Fares:£5.30
Arrive10:43
Dundee City Centre, Stance 2 Seagate Bus Station on Seagate

(<1m)
Leave10:43
Dundee City Centre, Stance 2 Seagate Bus Station on Seagate view on map
Arrive10:43
Dundee City Centre, at Bus Station on Seagate

(40m)
Leave10:55
Dundee City Centre, at Bus Station on Seagate
Service NumberM11
Provider Megabus (National Coach Services)
RouteAberdeen - Victoria (London)
NoteMB1
view on map
Arrive11:35
Broxden, Stop A Park and Ride on Park and Ride Site

(2h 20m)
Leave11:45
Broxden, Stop A Park and Ride on Park and Ride Site
Service NumberM90
Provider Scottish Citylink + Megabus + Parks of Hamilton
RouteEdinburgh - Inverness
view on map
Arrive14:05
Inverness, Stance 5 Bus Station on Farraline Park

(<1m)
Leave14:05
Inverness, Stance 5 Bus Station on Farraline Park view on map
Arrive14:05
Inverness, Stance 6 Bus Station on Farraline Park

(1h 50m)
Leave14:45
Inverness, Stance 6 Bus Station on Farraline Park
Service Number919
Provider Scottish Citylink
RouteInverness - Fort William
view on map
Arrive16:35
Fort William, Stances 5/6 Bus Station on MacFarlane Way

(<1m)
Leave16:35
Fort William, Stances 5/6 Bus Station on MacFarlane Way view on map
Arrive16:35
Fort William, Stances 1/2 Bus Station on MacFarlane Way

(1h 24m)
Leave17:40
Fort William, Stances 1/2 Bus Station on MacFarlane Way
Service Number500
Provider Shiel Buses
RouteFort William - Mallaig Acharacle or Kilchoan
view on map
Arrive19:04
Mallaig, o/s Service Point on Station Road

Email me if you want to take it further and I'll explain how to book it. I am doing this journey myself, in two parts, so I knew how it would work. I'll be travelling Inverness to Mallaig on 7th (but on an earlier bus) and Montrose to Inverness on 22nd. I only travel by bus these days as I have a bus pass, so it's even cheaper for me!!

Vanessa

Is that a Scottish bus pass? I don't think they take English or Danish bus passes.

For the past eight years now we've had a One Scotland card which kicks in once you hit 60. It gives access to many programmes - one of which is unlimited (time/geographical extent) free travel throughout our country via bus and coach services. It's all to do with social inclusion. Or dating opportunities for the elderly, yes please . . .

Tempted as I am to let rip on a Political Rant (No! No! Spare us from this Horror(Ed)) I'll be a good boy for once! And yes, there is an election coming up Thursday May 07. And yes, no matter how you feel, no matter your political persuasion, every vote counts - or else apathy triumphs!

Sounds a great system for us oldies!

Although disappointed about not being able to use my English bus pass in Scotland I was pleased to find that my Youth (!) Hostel card gives me a discount on the bus.

It is, indeed a Scottish bus pass, aka entitlement card. And democracy will come before the challenge. I will get to the polling station at 7 am in order to vote before the bus picks me up there at 7:15.

Way to go Vanessa! I too will be at my polling station at 7:00am! It's a hugely important vote for us all!

I too will be voting at 7am before walking to the station. So anyone who'll be seeing me later in the day, I am grumpy when tired...