​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TGO Challenge Tracking/Group at Map Social Hiking

I felt the same last year but Twitter is only used to sign in (but I don't know why) But I registered and everything went fine. I have had no tweets or whatever as a result of signing in. I've just signed in and will be testing SPOT later today to make sure everything still works.

I'd say have a go so that all your friends can follow your progress. The downside is that those at home can see how long you spend in the pubs!

I suspect I may be in a minority of 1, but I wouldn't do this for reasons of personal safety. I know that the chances of persons of ill intent lurking on the social hiking site to find the whereabouts of a lone female in her tent so they can steal her gaiters or whatever are pretty miniscule, but I don't want to advertise to the general public where I am.

So my OK reports from my SPoT will be sent to those who really want to know and they can look it up on their maps.

I used this last year and it seemed to work well. As I was using the GPS beacon on my phone I saved battery by not having it sending out locations at set times but did an ad-hoc "here I am" at varying times so control could see progress. Not sure what information is displayed but if it is just initial & surname then does not reveal the gender of the walker or whether others are in the group, so that may go some way to addressing Vanessa's concerns

I almost abandoned the registration due to the mention of twitter, but as Alan says it is only needed to sign up. I have had the occasional email to say I haven't completed my twitter account confirmation but I just ignore these.

Have a good crossing folks and I look forward to seeing your progress