​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Foot Balm Suggestions Please

Ian Sommerville
Thanks Emma

I may be one of the people where dampness isn't an issue. But with no scientific evidence whatsoever, I am convinced that getting shoes and socks off and airing your feet a couple of times per day is worthwhile.

Hi Ian,
Also based on no scientific evidence, I completely agree with you on that!
Hope to see you on the way.

Definitely Ian.

My strategy always (unless it is heaving down all day), is to rest feet every 2 hours.
If I can I always remove shoes and socks.
Air and dry feet.
Stick socks on poles to get air through them.

And for me, if feet have been wet, I then put some cream on to act as a barrier, once they are dry.

Had no problems since 2009.
Especially as I use shoes, so my feet do get wet.

I partially agree with you Ian. I never used to use any footcreams (because I'd never found one that didn't make my feet really greasy) and I used to think it was just marketing hype that made people use them.

However, I do now use Gehwol Extra on the Challenge and it has become an important part of how I look after my feet on a multi-day walk. I do believe that it's the massaging of the freshly-washed feet, rather than the cream itself, which does the good - but the Gehwol Extra is the first footcream I've used which doesn't result in me sliding around in my socks next day! So many people have told me "Use footcream xyz as it's the best", but the Gehwol actually works for me.... so I'm going to carry on using it!

If you want something to repel water and prevent chafing, Siopel is pretty good (not just for feet).

They may well not really do a lot but when I rub mint gehwol into my feet at the end of the day, both my feet and my nose love me.
The socks.. Now, they are a different matter. They may have to go outside the inner sanctum.

Lavender linen spray is good at hiding noxious smells (and repelling midges). The downside is that you smell like your granny

I am nearly as old as my Granny...

I find the gehwol keeps my socks from BECOMING noxious.... (Not to mention that since I started using it my feet have been happier/less blistered, which might be a co-incidence)

Robin, Siopel does sound similar to the Hydropel; perhaps in the future I can source this in the UK. For this trip, however, I have been 'gifted' a tube of Gehwol Extra from a seasoned challenger and hoping it is effective for me, even if its only a psychological boost. The placebo effect is amazingly effective (and scientifically proven) and sometimes I feel like my mind is the only thing keeping me from a good hike and a great one.

Thanks for all the advice, look forward to catching up in Montrose.

I got Siopel from Amazon.

Gehwol Extra in the morning Gehwol refreshing balm at night, is an excellent combination and everyone we have ever suggested it to seems to agree.

It also gets you to look after your feet more closely. Some people forget that they need 'love' too :)

I think I need to sort something for challengers for this forthcoming chill. I'll post something tomorrow.