​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boat of Garten camping??

Kirsten Paterson
Hi Louise,

Many thanks for this information. I know the area reasonably well and so the shortage of discrete wild camping spots. I'm coming through Sluggan, which would be a bit early to stop, and guess I'll have to push on to camp at the Lazy Duck. I'm needing to leave a food parcel for myself (and will need a decent shower by then) so I have sent the Lazy Duck and enquiry. Thanks for your suggestions.

I think we could be bumping in to each other...10% disc. for walking in to the Lazy Duck 😁

Kirsten,

Was last at the site on a pre-Challenge warm up two years ago. Even then the provisions for camping were pretty poor. The site had largely been turned into a touring and static caravan park but I was told at the time that part of their permit to operate the site obliged them to maintain a specific number of tent pitches. That said it was a question of scratching around to find a reasonable spot between caravans and on poor ground and all in all not nice, unlike on several previous occasions when it was fine with a dedicated tent area. For a wild pitch you could try the open ground on the Spey Way where they(SSE?) have been removing electricity pylons which used to do a 90 degree turn at roughly NH970195. Not exactly a very private area and you will have to take water there with you.

regards,

Colin

Many thanks, Colin, Emma and Judith for your replies. I've now booked a space at the Lazy Duck and they are willing to accept a food box from me next week as well. It sounds much nicer and was recommended to me by someone else as well.