​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glenelg

Oh yea. I was in those parts in '03, and entered into a discussion with the Glenelg Inn. Tho' if you're planning on staying there you may need to have Serious Money - Click here if you have access to a Trust Fund It's a mighty gaff, and I enjoyed it hugely.

For the price of a - perfectly reasonable - bar meal they were happy for me to
make my way to a pitch at the furthermost recesses of their land - great view over to Skye. It worked out very well. Glenelg is a mighty start point!

When I started at Glenelg (in 2009, I think it was ... in fact, yes, I'm pretty sure it must have been) I worked on the assumption that the ruined barracks would probably offer some good pitches ... flat, with a bit of woind protection, and presumably reasonably well-drained because they didn't discover Trench Foot until WWI.

When I got there, however, having walked from Kyle of Lochalsh across the bridge and down to Kylerhea in steady West Coast rain, and crossed the narrows on the wee turntable ferry, I conveived this irrational desire to start my crossing with a thumping great hangover, and so booked myself a room at the inn to facilitate the process ... so I cannot actually coment on the soundness or otherwise of my previous thinking. (I wouldn't recommend the hangover, however ... )

Thanks for the advice.
I did consider the Hotel but had the same problem as Hmp3!