​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jim Taylor

Worth recounting what Jim said after he'd been presented with the engraved quaiche to mark his 20th.

I think he was set on sneaking out of the Park before any of that presentation nonsense could be ladelled on him, but we nabbed him at the foot of the stairs and hand a few gifts on the stand that HanWag had set up in the coffee "lounge in the foyer. As well as the quaiche, Hanwag presented him with a bottle of something peaty and mature, so he was laden.

Jim said something along the lines of "Right, I'll be off for the bus now then, just stopping of at the pawn shop along the way!"

We're very sorry to hear about Jim. We met him on several Challenges and we were always in awe of his energy for a man of his age. He seems to walk on beef jerky and whisky, think we'll have to try that combination. He was one of the names on the Challenge that we would always look out for and so sorry we won't see him again. As has been previously said, he was very modest and quiet but a very interesting man. Our best wishes go to all his family.

Sad to hear.

Last year, when I met him, (for just 2 short periods), Jim's calm manner and stoic attitude made a great impression on me.

We spent 40 minutes or so chatting at Corryhully bothy on the first day. After 20 minutes of conversation, I only twigged his great age after he mentioned working on Spitfires. Then, he gave me a few tips for looking after ones physical self. He showed me a few of his morning stretches. I have a photo of him from then - not just touching his toes, but bending forward with hands flat on the floor! He had intended to camp there, but decided it was too early so made his way on up. I was heading South, so we said our goodbyes.

Then, after finishing on the last day, Andy Wright and I got on the bus to Montrose at Roadside of Catterline. Jim was there having finished further North (in Aberdeen I believe). As, we walked to the Park Hotel with Jim, he told us of some his crossing. After we signed in, and he got his dues, as John has written, he slipped off quietly.

That's so very sad. I was hoping to bump into him last year but he signed out 20 minutes ahead of me and that meant no hope of catching him. Getting old can be so unfair, fit enough to walk across Scotland then passing on within a year.