​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bridge damage and closure in Glen Affric

This link shows the damage - still looks crossable with care?

LINK

This should not bother too many Challengers as those coming from Glen Affric can cross to the south side of the loch at the upper car park and reach Cannich via Tomich. Nicer route than walking down the road anyway.

I've had to give up the Challenge for health reasons and didn't expect to be posting here again, but....

I was planning to canoe on Loch Affric in April, parking at the extreme W of the public road, i.e the extreme E of Loch Affric. It looks like the damage mentioned hasn't affected the public road, but I'd quite like someone to confirm that before I drive 500 miles!

Thanks in anticipation.

The road up to the car park near the east end of Loch Affric is open. It might be shut completely on 25th April for the Glen Affric Duathlon, and it sounds like a weekend to avoid if you want some tranquility. The Scottish Canoe Association should be able to help with launch points, and perhaps access to the landrover track beyond the locked gate

I assume that the damaged bridge is the one at NH283282.

Is there not another bridge, a footbridge downstream of the Dog Falls at NH289283 ?

There is a photo of it on Geograph !

Or is that bridge another chapter in that famous book "Phantom Bridges of Glen Affric" ?

Quite correct, Ray - that footbridge at NH289283 leads to a well beaten little path that swings up over the little col to run above the east side of Coire Loch and thence down & around the loch and SW to join the main track.

Obviously Challengers will approach this in the opposite direction, so this Walk Highlands Guide read backwards will show the way.

Mind you, I think the "washed out" bridge is perfectly OK - a prince amongst bridges by our standards!!

Thanks Phil

The photo on Geograph is quite old so I wasn't sure if the bridge by the car park had replaced it

I plan to come along the south side of Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin and if necessary try a short cut from approximately NH287280 down to the footbridge.

You are probably correct in your assessment of the washed out bridge but it is possible , no probably that the 'elf and safety gnomes will have barricaded it off to protect us from ourselves!

Thanks for replies. By happy coincidence I'll be there in mid-April and so avoid the events mentioned.

You may also want to avoid lower Glen Affric on 7th and 8th August when two days of the World Orienteering Championships are being held there. Potentially 5000 folks. The courses will be largely confined to Forest Enterprise land but access roads may be restricted and certainly extremely busy.