​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whats the best sleeping bag for the crossing

Hi all i will hopefully be doing the crossing next may with my dad Terry. Its going to be a special one as it will be 10 years since we did it last 2006. any tips on sleeping bags sleeping mats etc?

Re: Whats the best sleeping bag for the crossing

I recall a Challenger carrying a winter sleeping bag. He slept warm and never complained of being cold - he had done many crossings. My suggestion is something with 350/400g of good down combined with a warm sleeping mat. The truth is it can be very cold on the Challenge in May. Don't skimp on warmth.

Picks:

Rab Neutrino 400
Zpacks 20 bag (my current bag)
Marmot Plasma
PHD Minimus
PHD design your own - pay the price and get something ideal

If you're in for the long haul then you can't do better than a PHD build-your-own. Click here to go to PHD's micro-site.

Peter Hutchinson made me a custom bag back in '99 when I walked the GR11. Sixteen years later it's still virtually as new.

Dear is cheap!

Martin Rye
My suggestion is something with 350/400g of good down combined with a warm sleeping mat.

exactly my thought

i use a valandré mirage ( the old one with a 30cm zip and 375g of down) its very confortable for me down to -5°c with a neoair women.

http://fr.valandre.com/sacs-de-couchage/mirage-3/4.html

but for Elise its not sufficient, for that kind of temperature she uses a valandre lafayette with 538g of down

http://fr.valandre.com/sacs-de-couchage/la-fayette.html

but she is a very cold sleeper

with euros getting cheap, a good french alternative is Triple zero,

http://www.triplezero.fr/eng/proddetails.php?p=15&Ll=1680

i use an ansabere 800 and Elise an ansabere 900 from them for winter mountain hiking
and my son an elephant leg from them too

their down is as good as Valandre but they do less fancy sewing and they only one one option for fabric at 32g/m2

Hi, I agree with Martin that it can be very cold in May, and its always easier to get cooler if you are hot rather than the other way around. My take is, like all things gear related, unfortunately there is no one size fits all answer. In gear selection experience and personal preference counts. As you've done the challenge before then you will know a lot of the questions to ask yourselves but these are what I asked myself when making a selection:

1. What weight are you prepared to carry
2. Do you sleep hot/ cold
3. Are you in a tarp or a tent - dual skin tents tend to be warmer.
4. Thin mat or a thick mat. Foam or a nice thick airbed.
5. Will you carry extra clothes in bed. extra layers thermals etc.
6. How 'hard' are you :-) - I know it sounds silly but some people are able to put up with more discomfort than others.

So to wind up my tome, we sleep in a tent. I have a PHD bag which comes in warmish but not bonkers. It was a bit wider and longer as I'm a bigish build. So that's more weight, however I carry a nice thick Exped UL airbed which is heavier, but means I get a comfy night and better insulation through the ground, so I could reduce the sleeping bag weight a bit. I carry thermals to wear in the bag if necessary. Physiologically and Psychologically I keep waking up if cold so like to be warmer. After the exertion of a day on the hill I tend to sleep colder than I would normally, so might need more insulation....back to stage one. And repeat.

Long winded but I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the valid info. i do remember in 2006 i did wake a few times being cold so i think i will get something more substantial for next year. mind you back than the weather was lovely and the rain stayed away for most of the crossing.

Agree emphatically with previous replies: better too warm than too cold if you want to sleep soundly. And I also find I feel the cold more when tired at the end of a day's walking than I would at home.

On a different tack, my favourite sleep aid (as some of you will be tired of hearing) is a tiny, virtually weightless thin fleece pillowslip. Gone are the nights of waking up with the clothing I was using for pillow all scrunched in lumps & spread everywhere.....or my head repeatedly slipping off a stuffsack full of clothes becasue of the shiny cold fabric. I've had this precious trifle for many years and can't remember where I bought it!

Don't forget the Frying Pan and all the accessories like last time :)

Hey Bob, I hope that's not directed at me! Never fried anything on a Challenge.....eating is kept as simple and light as poss.

But I'm still taking the super down pullover I bought from you may years ago: my daughter borrowed it recently for a camping weekend around ben Alder and was equally impressed.

Ha ha won't be forgetting that, how are you Bob nice to hear from you?

Good thanks. I'll look forward to a follow up chat all these years later and you can tell me all about your approach this year :)

No Jean it was directed at Stefan. The last time I met him walking up the Corrieyairack Pass, Terry was laughing at him as he was complaining about the weight of all his gear, which included a frying pan, dinner jacket, a foot spa and a dutch oven I seem to remember (or something like that)

Happy days :)