​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tomdoun Hotel development

The Tomdoun Hotel story reminds me a lot of The Moor of Rannoch Hotel which I've stayed at a number of times since my first Challenge in '95. Then it was spartan catering with no central heating and minimal dining but nevertheless a most welcome overnight halt which I'd seen recommended by Hamish Brown in his "Scotland Coast To Coast", the route I was partly following. On each subsequent visit to Rannoch the business appeared to have enjoyed a costly makeover and change of ownership. I asked one new proprietor that if I should pass by again in three years would he still be there and he said that he doubted it. With no passing trade, apart from the overnight Caledonian sleeper, it's a mystery how places such as these survive. I see on YouTube that the place was again for sale in 2013 for £475k.

I've had direct experience of Restricted Licence, at a 'pub' in the middle of nowhere that offers food and drink between the hours of 1pm and 5pm, Saturdays only - with the added proviso that the pub may close from time to time.

What actually happened was the the new owners bought the place for use as their home but were bound to keep it running as a pub. They bought it for a song.

JJ

I've objected too, although in despair rather than hope. Couldn't let it go without trying.

Thanks for outlining the scenario's Jeremey,we all know the outcome
might be negative.But to do nothing will ony benifit the party wishing
for an easy ride through planning procedure.