​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Blackwater reservoir

Thank you John, sounds like I will manage then. If push comes to shove and it is very wet I will just have to go down to Kinlochleven and back - done that before and it is a tad unforgiving! I will go and look at the graveyard - sounds like the memorial at Ribblehead, to all those who died building the railway. Health & safety hadn't been thought of then. Our forefathers were a tough breed.

Read "Children of the Dead End" by Patrick MacGill. It gives a vivid picture of the life of those workers.

You are such a wag John, Challengers drinking!!!!

A few years back I came down that track from the bothy and crossed below the Blackwater Dam and then on to the Devils Staircase there was very little water when I crossed

Lindy, we were at the Blackwater Reservoir on Sunday so can update you on situation there. JD was right, there is a notice on the dam which says "No unauthorised persons beyond this point". We have previously crossed the dam on a Challenge but don't remember if the sign was always there. Health and Safety as it is, you couldn't really expect anything else. Anyway we decided to try and cross below and there was no way of doing so without getting wet feet. There was quite a bit of water coming out from below the dam since it was so full, but I think that is exceptional. If we had crocs with us, we might have attempted it though. If you have to go to Kinlochleven, there are several burns on the way down which can be quite tricky when its been raining a lot. Sounds like a good Challenge warm-up you have planned. Have fun.

Lindy Griffiths
I want to avoid having to drop down into Kinlochleven and then climbing up again.

Go on, Lindy - the Kinlochleven chip shop is calling....

Have a great trip.

Thank you everyone - I will see what the situation is re amount of water and judge it when I am there in the light of what you have all said.

Hi Lindy,

On last yaer's challenge, Marianne and me crossed the dam by climbing the gate with no problems. The signs were there but did not harm.....
Have a nice trip and see you in Inverness in May.

Wilem