​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wild camp Plockton

Bunk house full and B & B wanting twin or double so, anyone know a good spot to camp please?

Re: Wild camp Plockton

C'mon Croydon I'm sure you could find somebody willing to kip with you

Funny you should say that as having slept with young Morpeth for a good few years it has slightly lost it's appeal.
However since making this post I have revalued my thoughts on the challenge and where is my sense of adventure.
I might add that of all my 15 challenges I have only ventured under a roof 4 times due to weather and/or inebriation, so I fancy the back end of the airstrip may be for me.

There's very little potential space around the place I seem to remember when we started there a few years back. We ended up in a B&B miles away by the Plockton International Airport (airstrip) but the owners came to get us. Can't find the tel number.

However a couple of people wild camped up some steps behind some disused walls (old church) right on the road near the school I seem to remember. However looking Google earth I can't the spot anymore.

Not much help I'm sorry, but of all the places I've started it has to be the worst for potential wild camps and generally very expensive too.

Ah found it!

On Google Earth as you head towards the village from the Railway station you get to the brow of a hill.

On the left is some steps you can clearly see, before a foot path sign. I didn't go up there, but I know some challengers camped up there in 2007.

I have no idea what the ground is like.

Nice one Bob, I have found the place on street view and has potential. Lets hope it's not full of usurpers when I arrive, who would clearly be newbies and unaware of the Croydon boy's reputation (for night yodelling and the like).

Croydon, you are a better man than I. Short of doing a B&B trip I'll do anything for a soft bed, shower and a pint - might I be missing the point?

Hope to see you along the way.