​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gerry's Hostel.

This is very sad news.

He was as JJ says, a great character, and the Challenge community will mourn his passing.

I once enjoyed a very entertaining evening in front of a roaring fire at the Hostel.

Thanks Gerry!

Glad i had the chance to meet him and see first hand just how caring and helpful Gerry was. Yes he will be missed. I enjoyed my stay with him on last years challenge.

Sorry to hear larger than life Gerry is no more. I never used the hostel on the Challenge. However, I stayed at the hostel one Christmas more than ten years ago. To say it was hilarious is an understatement. A beer glass full of ice cold white wine while decorating a Christmas tree (women's work!) that Gerry had just cut and that did not really fit into the room.....Those were the days! Still makes me giggle!

Maria

How sad. He was certainly a character. (Dont touch the fire).

Stayed there 2013 where I bumped into a very bald Lilo Lil.

Condolences to his family.

Diane.

Another stalwort leaves us.What a character he was too.
It's over fifteen years since Gerry first accommodated me one dark
wet night. A real character down the years, with his little rules and
regs. regarding "his hostel" yes GERRY'S was and it will so to all who
came in contact with him. A lovely person,and an unforgettable character.
Condolences to his family.

A character indeed. I recall the first time I stayed in his hostel, way back in 1994. I was ushered in by a gentleman with a shock of red hair and red bushy beard, whom I assumed to be Gerry. Not so, as I soon learned. The redhead had arrived two weeks earlier in company with his wife and had lasted only one day in the hills before twisting his ankle. As his wife was keen to carry on walking, this poor man found himself restricted to hobbling around the hostel for the next fortnight, whereupon Gerry spotted his opportunity. An arrangement was made that the couple would have free use of the hostel whilst Gerry disappeared off on holiday leaving the injured chap in charge.

When I heard this story, it struck me as rash action on Gerry's part but later knowledge convinced me that it was entirely in character. We won't see someone like him again anytime soon.

I wonder if the hostel will remain open after current bookings run their course.

I first met Gerry in the early 1970s where his hostel was a complete revelation after SYHA hostels with their rules and regulations - I remember him doing a booze run while we were out on the hill. He was a fabulous character who really liked (most of) the hill folks who stayed with him.

I stayed at the hostel back in 2007.
Gerry was certainly a larger than life character and a law unto himself.
Full of tales and a unique person.
He will be missed.

My condolences to his family

My condolences to his family.

Karin and stayed there in May 2014, wrote a story about it and made pictures.
The story is in Dutch except the nice part when entering the hostel.
That was after a two hours patience practicing course in Gary's Shed, because Gary didn't open up: he didn't expect anyone. But we made a reservation...

You can find it over here, scroll down a bit:
http://www.cowshead.net/#!capewrath/cpnl