​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advance rail tix now available up to Friday May 08

Oh, the curious world of Network Rail and ticket pricing !

I seem to be quoted far more to go from Harrogate to Preston than for my sleeper from Preston to Fort William.
I appreciate that I'm crossing the Roses border and I may have to pay a tariff for the dubious privilege but whether buying one ticket or splitting it seems to come out the same. The system only wants to sell me a return (it must assume nobody wants to remain in Preston).
Mmm, perhaps wait a few days and see how it develops.

Sadly, each year is the same!

Advance tickets are released only to be more expensive than if you wait a couple of weeks.

Breaking the journey works - sometimes.

Thankfully, I'm booked all the way to Shiel Bridge, but, I've jumped through more hoops than a circus dog!

Scotrail idiocy. Edinburgh-Mallaig single, £20.40; Edinburgh-Lochailort, £32.50. Same true if you are travelling from Glasgow.

No ticket checks at Lochailort so obvious what to do.

We've just booked Manchester (6.14) to Kyle (16.12) on 7 May for Sue (adult) and me (Senior Railcard)for £84. Man to Ed to Perth to Inv to Kyle. Via Glasgow is about £70 but gets you to Kyle at 20.31, which is when we will arrive if we miss any of the tight connections. Four separate tickets were needed, or the price is £237.
Maybe we could have done better, but that cost for the two of us is acceptable.
We haven't yet thought about getting back from Montrose.
Martin, with thanks to HMP3 for starting this thread.

This morning I booked tickets for 7th May:

Manchester to Glasgow (7.16am): £10.75
Glasgow to Fort Bill (12.21pm): £8.80

These prices include my Old Fart's Discount of 30%

JJ

I've saved about £120 by splitting my journey into 3 legs (Penrith to Glasgow, Glasgow to Inverness and Inverness to Strathcarron).

But one word of caution. If you do miss a connection at one of the breaks in journey an advanced ticket becomes invalid, whilst a through anytime ticket can still be used on later journeys if the missed connection is down to a train being late.

Finally, on the nonsense of ticket prices, whilst playing with the options I noted that anytime tickets were often cheaper than off peak only tickets. What's that all about then? Goodness knows what Challengers from overseas must make of our rail pricing!

Sorry, my message above. It should read that a through 'advanced ticket' can be used on a later train if you miss your connection because of a later train.