​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ordering food from outside UK

Mat at Torridon YH was really helpful and happy to take a food parcel. He is also taking some for the hostel and for the local shop in anybody needs to stock up last minute!

If you do bring food into the UK, its usually allowed but I did have some beef jerky taken away at Customs last year. They get a bit leery about meat products, depends who you get. I haven't located the 2-serving Mountain House dehydrated meals (not single serving which is available but not all varieties) in the UK so I bring what I need with me. Fuel for your stove is the one thing you have to buy in country and allow time to find it wherever you fly into since it can't be brought in or shipped.

Coming from Australia, I have had similar issues on my 2 challenges.

It is hard to get confirmation that bringing food in from Australia will get through customs. That presents a problem of logistics on arrival and also cost if they do get confiscated, so I have ordered in advance both times from outdoors grub in the UK. Delivery has been on time and I have had no problems arranging deliveries to camp grounds and hostels. Outdoors Grub sells the Real Turmat meals which happen to be my favourite freeze dried food. So there's a second reliable food supply in the UK for you.

Last trip, I had leftover food (too many pub meals! :) ) so I ran the gauntlet and brought them back with me through Australian customs with no problem. Who'd have guessed...

Mike

Obviously, I'm not ordering from outwith the country, however the meals from mountaintrails.org.uk are very good and come in two portion sizes. Mark has been incredibly helpful when dealing with my own queries and I'm sure would do his best for others.

Hi Julie, just wanted to let you know we can get the larger MH packs, they are not on our site but can get all the same meals as shown in the standard size (and the TGOC discount will also apply)
Thanks
James at Base Camp Food

As always, we are delighted to help Challengers coming from outside the UK (or indeed from within the UK) by sending food to points along your walk -- we've been doing this for some years now :)

We also have the Mountain House larger portion packs in stock. As in the USA, they are not 2 full portions, but about 1.5 to 1.66 portions -- good for the larger appetite or two small ones! In the UK, Mountain House call them "Big Packs".

this is my 8th Challenge and I've never needed a food parcel..just buy locally..
most people carry too much food anyhow (cos they keep sending food parcels they don't need) so you could offer to buy it off them (and benefit each other)