​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jane Eggleston

It is with great sadness that we learn that Jane has passed after a short illness.

Her friends' email reads:

Dear All

It is with the greatest sadness we have to tell you that Jane passed away peacefully this lunchtime at Trinity Hospice with her family by her side.

Thank you all for your help and support at this time and please raise a glass to Jane, I am sure she would like that.

Further details regarding Jane’s funeral arrangements will be sent out when we have them.

If you would like to know anymore in the meantime, then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us or Rachel rachel_egglestone@hotmail.com , Jane's niece, cc’d in here.

With kindest regards

Tracey and Aleks

Many of us had the great pleasure of meeting with Jane. She completed four Challenges, and had every intention of taking up her fifth this year.

A mighty soul. We shall not see her like again.

Re: Jane Eggleston

What terribly sad news. I had no idea she had been poorly. Jane was always great fun, she was a very experienced backpacker and was a well known member of the Backpackers Club.
I shall miss her.
Condolences to her family and all who knew her.
JJ

That's a shock.. and a great shame too. Sad.

Extremely sorry to hear this. I've walked with Jane at some time on three of my Challenges and always enjoyed her company, particularly a great evening in Culra Bothy where she robustly segregated snorers and non-snorers and ensured everybody closed the f...... door !

She still had too many miles left to go so soon.
Condolences to family and friends.

I have some lovely memories of the time I spent walking with Jane on my first Challenge and chatting with her on subsequent Challenges. So full of life and energy and such incredible fun.
She'll be terribly missed, but remembered with huge affection.

Didn't expect that.
Have met and walked with Jane on a few occassions.
Always full of energy and a good laugh to be with.
Yet another sad loss to the Challenge fraternity.

My sincere condolences to her family.

Very sad news. She was a real character and personality. I'm sure a lot of us will be sharing stories on the Challenge.

That's terrible news. Very sad. A real character. I was hoping to meet her again on this year's Challenge.

My sincere condolences to her family.

JANE EGG

It was a massive shock to hear that ‘Jane Egg’ has died.

I met Jane on the Challenge about four years ago, and she has filled that time with wonderfully happy memories. She was warm, feisty, fun and had a sharp wit that would always bring me out in smiles. She was big-hearted and as good as you can get. I’m going to miss her. Raise your glass to this wonderful woman.

My thoughts go out to Jane’s friends and family.

That's such a shock and a shame. I first met Jane at the Snake Pass reunion and was looking forward to camping alongside her again this year. I'm not sure I ever bumped into her on an actual Challenge but our Peak District walks were always good fun.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Jane and I did our first solo challenges in 2010 and we met 'along the way' as you do. She grew on me over the subsequent years and we became challenger friends. As I prepared to leave the UK for a move to the US, she was very interested in our VW CamperVan but, alas, its height was too tall to pass in her swish London address!

I did know Jane had been having some health issues but it still had not been diagnosed as of my last email from her in October 2014.

Jane was a thoughtful, intelligent, adventurous gal who enjoyed life to its fullest and I am glad to have known her. Happy Trails wherever you are, Jane!

I first met Jane at the Snake Pass Inn in the spring before my first Challenge. She was quite something! As a 'newbie' and also as a solo female walker she made a big impression on me. I have bumped into her on each Challenge since then, and was hoping to meet up with her again this year.

My thoughts are with her family.

Dear Jane, she was such a character with a truly warm heart. What sad news this is. I will miss her on the challenge. I will raise a glass for her this year and remember her with affection as the force of nature she was.

Such sad news. Over the course of her 4 crossings Jane's established herself as one of the Challenge's much loved and memorable characters. She, and especially her laconic sense of humour, will be greatly missed. We'll certainly be raising a glass to her this May. Our condolences to her friends and family.

Very sad news indeed. I only met Jane a couple of times, the last being at NWB when I particularly remember her as being an open, honest and very likeable lady. What impressed me most was the fact that she called a spade a spade and had a true sense of humour. Her use of certain bits of the English language was quite interesting!

A great lady and Challenger who will be sadly missed. My sincere condolences to Jane's family.

Colin Tock

Sad news. I first met Jane at the Snake Pass reunion before we both did our first challenge. There were some big challenge characters present that weekend, whom I have got to know in the subsequent years. Jane kind of stood out. Tremendous.

This is very sad and unexpected news. Jane was one of the first Challengers I ever met, collecting funds for a present for Roger in the Kintail Lodge Hotel, and I was immediately impressed by her very open friendliness. I walked with her several times and loved her character, her kindness, her energy and her boundless appetite for life. She will be greatly missed.

My sincere condolences to her friends and family.

What terribly sad news! I could not help shedding a tear!

We met Jane on a couple of challenges and in the Snake Pass Inn.

She was great fun and I can't believe we won't see her again this Challenge. We will have a few drinks on her behalf because we know she would have liked that.

Here is to you Jane!!!
JOKE and Jeff

Farewell to a good friend.

Very sad - I thought she was indestructible - one of the 'specials' you mostly/only seem to meet on the Challenge. My thoughts are with her loved ones.

18 yr Glenfiddich

Cheers Jane...

Another irreplaceable Challenger gone! She was a real character: witty, full of zest and yes, she always called a spade a spade. I fondly remember her drying her sleeping bag out in Cougie after having been washed out of her tent, and sharing a drink at the bar during the dinner in Montrose, where she rolled her eyes at and had a good moan about all the speeches. Stuart and I were really looking forward to seeing her again this year. Our thoughts are with her family.
A toast to Jane with a good single malt!

This is shocking news. I didn't know Jane well but the couple of times I was in her company on the Challenge she always struck me as so full of life. It's difficult to imagine she is no longer there.

Sad news our thoughts are with her friends and family.

My recall is at the Snake Inn also . Her ( Jane ) , "just know me as Jane Egg!" request still lingers . Alan's picture and title confirmed , for which i thank him . cheers Jane ,thanks and well met . bill h.

This is really sad news. We met Jane on the Challenge and its reunions, and also on a highly enjoyable TGO readers trip to the Taurus mountains and Cappadocia. She was a real character and will be much missed. Our condolences go to all her friends and family.

The Queen of Bree Louise!

I will smile and raise a glass when I recall the times when I was fortunate to have met such a wonderful, larger than life, character.

I wild camped with Jane a couple of times on her first Challenge a lovely Lady who will be sadly missed. My condolences to all her family

As I tweeted earlier today, Jane and the weather were the two most impressive forces of nature I encountered in Scotland. I'll raise a glass; I know that she certainly would.

Walked for a spell with her on a couple of Challenges. Sad news indeed.

Jon

What a very sad news. Bert and I met Jane on a few Challenges. She was a kind and honest lady and a brave solo walker. I would like to remind her in the sunshine at the trick point on top of Cairn Caidloch on the 2012 Challenge. Condolences to her family and friends.

This is very sad; like others, I was unaware she had been ill. I had missed out on the pleasure of meeting Jane on any Challenges, strangely enough, but I've just found and re-read a long e-correspondence I had with her when she was considering volunteering for the Himalayan research trip I was organising in 2012. She seemed such a lively and interesting person who would have been an asset on such a trek, and I was disappointed she wasn't able to pursue the idea.

Please may I add my condolences to her family and friends.

Very sorry to learn, belatedly, of Jane's death…

Jane was a smashing lass, a real feisty (Sue used the word this morning… perfect choice!) character who loved the Challenge. Was an absolute pleasure to chat with her at the Snake gathering; absorbing, humorous, intense and a wild inner spirit… so looking forward to the next opportunity to cross Scotland.

Deeply saddened to learn of her death; thoughts are with family and friends, and those fortunate to have shared her company.

Sorry to hear of Jane's passing.

I met Jane on both of my Challenges in 2010 and 2013. I was impressed by her happy spirit and friendly outgoing nature. Lovely person.

RIP :(