​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Comments on possible route

NH529300 (give or take a bit)

Thanks Grumpy! I recall being in a rush & a bit unsure when to head down from road to shore the first time....

It sounds to me as if you've got an excellent route coming on there, Steve.

Bear in mind that there will always be things you wish to do, but cannot sensibly build into your route. Don't worry about leaving them out (your change of start point to Shiel Bridge is an example here) - there will always be chances to go back and do them another time, on a different route.

I echo all the others - you WILL get wet feet. I always carry enough dry socks to have a fresh pair every day, and a couple of spares in case I get a bog-soaking and wish to change mid-day. Some people consider me a bit eccentric in this. I consider the extra weight well worth the carrying. You will doubtless make your own decision on the optimum balance between comfort, caution and weight. Just be aware that there IS a decision to be taken here.

Also, I strongly encourage the use of walking poles, on account of a Scottish phenomenon which my wife and I refer to as "water masquerading as dry land". The advantage of poles is that you can prod and probe at any suspect ground before treading on it. If it turns out to be knee-deep gloop, it is then only your pole that gets gloopy ...

Enjoy your first Challenge, and I look forward to seeing you on the trail (our paths should cross - see my route summary in "Summarise your route in 100 words or less").

Hi Jeremy. Thanks for the sound advice. I do use trekking poles, (Gossamer Gear LT4). I'm now resigned to wet feet. A question for you...do you wear non-waterproof (no goretex inner bootie) or waterproof footwear. I had read that footwear that can drain and dry out after a couple hours of walking was a good idea. Have also read where others planned to go back to 'proper leather boots' after trying something lighter. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I look forward to meeting you somewhere out there.

Steve