​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Comments on possible route

Hi Steve, You will find challengers a friendly bunch but not so friendly as to do your route work for you. If you really want to see challengers, you're off to a good start with Lochailort, FW, Newtonmore, Braemar, etc. It seems like a trip down the Feshie is in order vs the Larig Ghru. Perhaps save that for a future route when starting further north? As I mentioned in an email offline, I have never been so fortunate as to avoid peat hags, tussocks, bog and wet feet entirely even in the year where there was no rain at all! And why would you want to avoid it, its part of the experience that Scotland has to offer. Good luck in your planning, I find that part to be the biggest challenge of all!

Hi Steve,

These two excellent videos give a fantastic taste of the Challenge:

http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2013/11/the-34th-rab-tgo-challenge-review-part-1/

http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2013/11/the-34th-rab-tgo-challenge-part-2/

Also, this site is where a number of Challenge write-ups are:

http://www.doodlecat.com/tgo/tgoselect.html

Good luck with the planning.

Have a great crossing.

Hope to meet you either on route or in Montrose.

Hi Steve, and welcome, from an old hand/old hag!

You have probably had endless advice about books, but for a first-timer with no chance of preliminary recce, I think the book "Scottish Hill Tracks" published by the Scottish Rights of Way and Access Society is very useful - wish I had known about it for my first! Rights of Way in olden days are quite often now pathless on the ground (if they haven't been covered by a motorway......) but are still a guide to what is passable off-path.

Can't promise freedom from bogs, though, I'm afraid. But you sound extremely fit so it's worth considering that higher is often drier.

You'll find everyone desperate to help, now and on the hills: route-planning is an addictive pursuit, al;most as much so as the hike itself.

Thank you Jean!

Funny, I ordered Scottish Hill Tracks over this last weekend from Amazon, so it sounds like a good choice. From advice here and other reading, I believe my best bet will be to embrace the thought of wet feet while attempting to keep them dry! (I have quite a reputation with a friend regarding the lengths I've been willing to go to keep my feet dry, but considering the soggy nature of Scotland, I'll consider it all part of the adventure.)

And yes, the planning has already invaded my sleep.

Best to you.

Steve

If you can get across Scotland with dry feet, I shall call you Jesus.
And seek your advice.
I have never managed it.
Mind You, I do use trail shoes.

Might see you in Fort Augustus.

If you are looking to Larig rather than Feshie, you'll be better heading via Glen Doe & Glen Markie, then over to Aviemore, rather than Newtonmore.

Although, there is a mighty fine hostel in Newtonmore.
And they have cake.

Hi Andrew

Yes, the thought of dry feet now seems a distant hope, so I'm prepared for wet feet. I'm now considering Sheil Bridge as my start point. This also gives me the opportunity to ferry across Loch Ness. Have heard about that monster since i was a boy, I'll have camera in hand with finger on shutter button!! (My wife has kidded me endlessly about the thought of that)

Hope to see you along the way.

Steve

Take my advice, Steve ..... Do NOT start at Sheil Bridge!

It will be full of reprobates and scoundrels and will quickly immerse you into the Challenge Community. There will be a few well known raconteurs and a few will even be drinking. You have been warned.

I'll be there to keep an eye on them .....

As will I fine sir. Be good to see you. Depending on the day of course.

I expect the Kintail Lodge Hotel will be a bit livelier than Cockbridge was.

It'll be great to meet you and Rosemary again.

Thanks for the warning Gordon. I'll keep a close eye on my gear and my beer. And heaven help me if I find I'm stuck on the bus with them on the way up there! Hope to see you there.

Steve

Steve Chesterton
Hi Andrew
I'm now considering Sheil Bridge as my start point.

Well I may well see you in Shiel Bridge.
Although Gordon may be right.
Dreadful bunch of reprobates starting there this year

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the links, I'll be reviewing them this evening. I've made real strides (pun intended) with my planning having received solid advice on this forum. I hope to meet you somewhere along the way.

Steve

Dear Steve,

Welcome! You route sounds grand and I am sure you have had a lot of advice by now. I just thought I would mention that, if you were thinking of taking the Camusnagaul ferry to Fort William, not to forget that it doesn't run on Sunday. The Corran ferry further south runs every day.
Hope to meet you in May.

Thanks Emma. Based on advice I've changed my route to start from Shiel Bridge. I will need to ferry across Loch Ness from Drumnadrochit, do you know if that ferry runs each day?

Thanks again,

Steve

Gordon Menzies usually runs a boat across Loch Ness twice each day for Challengers from Temple pier just outside Drumnadrochit to Inverfarigaig: email gordon.menzies@btopenworld.com for informtion/booking (also: phone 01456 450 205, mobile 07831 434 691 for when you are in the area, to confirm your place on the boat.)

The crossing is a highlight og the TGO Challenge - I loved the one I did so much 2 years ago that I have built it into my route for this year.

Lindy, thanks for the information.

Steve

For the ferry across Loch Ness, you need to get in touch with Gordon Menzies, who has been a friend of the Challenge for many years. He normally makes crossings at about 8am and 5pm from Temple Pier (which is about a mile outside Drumnadrochit) to Inverfarigaig. All his contact details are in the event information you received last year. I think the normal protocol is to contact him in advance, and then while you are en route to confirm when you will be there.

Lindy, I just saw that you beat me to it! I am going that way Monday pm - see you there maybe?

The details for the Loch Ness ferry wil be in the final details, your vetter will also possibly give you them. There's no panic to get booked before you're vetted, just drop him a line before you leave and text or phone as you approach Drum. Gordon always does his very best for us all. Email gordon.menziesm@btopenworld.com (note the m in the middle :-))

I'm going on the ferry, again, this year, Tuesday morning I think. Playing catch up with you Emma, as always!!

Crossing Nessie's territory in Menzies boat is always a pleasure. A word of warning though to those who are going to enjoy this crossing for the first time: Menzies operates on a schedule and does not wait for latecomers.
If you are staying in a B&B in Drumnadrochit, make sure your hosts serve you a really early breakfast and pay the evening before.It is a fair old trot to the landing stage!
A few years ago the owners of the B&B where we stayed served breakfast half an hour later than agreed and took ages in taking our payment. We hoofed it to the landing stage and arrived just in time to wave goodbye to the departing boat and our fellow Challengers.....And no, Menzies did not turn around to pick us up.

I believe there is an old Highlands/Islands superstition to the effect that it's bad luck (or bad Karma?) to turn back once the boat has left its moorings......does anyone know if that's more general among seafarers?
Anyway, as Maria says, it's important to realise that it's not just a few minutes' stroll to the ferry: it's well out the main road north. Anybody got a grid reference for the jetty?
Our little band hopes to be on it Tuesday pm. Pity my new team-mate (i.e. not my other half) can't persuade his son along for the evening: when he did the Challenge he arranged for his bagpipes to be taken up there and he piped the boat across! Gordon still remembers that.

NH529300 (give or take a bit)

Thanks Grumpy! I recall being in a rush & a bit unsure when to head down from road to shore the first time....

It sounds to me as if you've got an excellent route coming on there, Steve.

Bear in mind that there will always be things you wish to do, but cannot sensibly build into your route. Don't worry about leaving them out (your change of start point to Shiel Bridge is an example here) - there will always be chances to go back and do them another time, on a different route.

I echo all the others - you WILL get wet feet. I always carry enough dry socks to have a fresh pair every day, and a couple of spares in case I get a bog-soaking and wish to change mid-day. Some people consider me a bit eccentric in this. I consider the extra weight well worth the carrying. You will doubtless make your own decision on the optimum balance between comfort, caution and weight. Just be aware that there IS a decision to be taken here.

Also, I strongly encourage the use of walking poles, on account of a Scottish phenomenon which my wife and I refer to as "water masquerading as dry land". The advantage of poles is that you can prod and probe at any suspect ground before treading on it. If it turns out to be knee-deep gloop, it is then only your pole that gets gloopy ...

Enjoy your first Challenge, and I look forward to seeing you on the trail (our paths should cross - see my route summary in "Summarise your route in 100 words or less").

Hi Jeremy. Thanks for the sound advice. I do use trekking poles, (Gossamer Gear LT4). I'm now resigned to wet feet. A question for you...do you wear non-waterproof (no goretex inner bootie) or waterproof footwear. I had read that footwear that can drain and dry out after a couple hours of walking was a good idea. Have also read where others planned to go back to 'proper leather boots' after trying something lighter. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I look forward to meeting you somewhere out there.

Steve