​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fetteresso Route/Camp Info

Hello all
This is my first post for my first Challenge and would appreciate some advice from the esteemed (or is that steaming) collective.
I'm hoping to pass through the Fetteresso Forest from Bridge of Dye area to Donnottar Castle during my crossing and am aware of Mid Hill consented and proposed turbine locations and tracks from the map supplied last year relating to the Wind Factory and the info supplied by John Manning (May 13) However I'm unable to find up to date info about whether the construction has started/completed and what effect this currently has on other tracks shown on the Landranger maps, water supply and camping locations. From following previous Challenge chitchat over the past few years I know some have camped around NO 722876 east of North Dennetys does anybody know if this location is still usable? Any other camping locations and suggested routes in the area would be appreciated.

Re: Fetteresso Route/Camp Info

Hi Chris, and welcome to the Message Board.

I haven't been through the Fetteresso for a few years but from reading the 2014 Challenge blog reports I'm pretty certain the Midhill wind farm is now complete. (So that means the developer will now be putting in a proposal for an extension.)

If you are camping below the wind farm, ie downstream of it, it is wise to filter your water as it is highly likely to be polluted from the construction period and the subsequent commissioning & maintenance visits. However, be aware that the water may well have oils as pollutants, so filtering will not be effective and the pollutants will screw up your filter.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer your question about suitable camping spots.

Hello Chris

All the construction work at Midhill Wind Farm should be completed by May. We'll give more details in the Newsletter which we hope to get out in a few weeks time.

Looking onto it from Clachnaben, it seems that the Mid-Hill wind farm is finished and operational and the company web site confirms this.

As a local, I'm planning to take a walk in the forest sometime in the next few weeks and I'll post an update then. I think that Alan is right about filtering water though probably pessimistic about the oil pollution. Light oil gets broken up pretty quickly in moving water so any construction pollution should be cleared by now.

Ian

Last year I pitched up at Glenskinnan (NO 708888) on an overgrown track, room for 1 or possibly 2 small tents, unsurprising the ground was very tough.

Plenty of spots along the Water of Cowie around the track junction @ NO 764874.

Thanks for all the useful advice supplied here and via emails. I was hoping to camp in the forest to leave a shorter last day to provide time for some revelry but the water situation seems a concern.
Updates for the newsletter and Ian following your walk would be great.
Look forward to our paths crossing in May.
Cheers
Chris N

Chris N
Thanks for all the useful advice supplied here and via emails. I was hoping to camp in the forest to leave a shorter last day to provide time for some revelry but the water situation seems a concern.
Updates for the newsletter and Ian following your walk would be great.
Look forward to our paths crossing in May.
Cheers
Chris N

I passed through the Fetteresso from glen dye last year on a scorching day and drank from the cowie and some of the smaller burns nearer the wind farm without any issues, I was using a water to go bottle mind and probably filled it 4 or 5 times while passing through due to the heat

Thanks Richard.
I have always used stream water over many years of camping and backpacking throughout Scotland without issues but never so close to an industrial site. Certainly an option worth considering.
Cheers Chris

Chris N
Thanks Richard.
I have always used stream water over many years of camping and backpacking throughout Scotland without issues but never so close to an industrial site. Certainly an option worth considering.
Cheers Chris

I cant recommend the water to go bottle I’m afraid, it probably does what its meant to do but i found it to be a bit crap for drinking out of, it’s like sooking marshmallows through a straw, it’s the first (and last probably) time I’ve ever used a filter of any sort in Scotland. Im passing that way again and I'll be going au naturel (water wise).

I've never used a filter in more than 40 years walking in the Highlands (nor in the east for the past 2 Challenges) but if you have a FWA through agricultural land, then it's maybe a good idea. The Sawyer mini-filter seems a good option.