​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FB between Wester Knockfin and Guisachan House (Ruin) ?

There's no bridge shown on my Sept 2011 RouteBuddy 1:50k maps and I can't see one on Bing Aerial View either, though the area is in the shade of trees.

It would be handy to know if there is one, as it would make our Day Three FWA a little easier!

There's a footbridge marked on the 1:25k maps on Streetmap and Bing - but I can't find it on any paper maps or on aerial views but, as you say, there are lots of trees round there.

It wouldn't be too much of a diversion for me to check it out but it would be good to know in advance.

I always regard some of the information shown on Explorer maps with a degree of scepticism. They clearly reveal a lot of finer detail, with paths, bridges etc which are missing from smaller scale maps. Often they prove to be accurate enough but doubts arise due to the uprating of often very dated information. Major features such as roads, forestry and tourist attractions are wholly reliable but more obscure items are unlikely to have received the same attention. It's an interesting fact that the older Pathfinder series of 1:25000 maps used to detail the survey dates on which the maps were based, information not provided for the Explorers. Someone with deeper knowledge may well correct me but I don't think that any full survey at that scale has been carried out since the Explorers were introduced; the upshot being that essentially these are simply Pathfinders with some selected revision. As some of the survey dates for the Pathfinders go back to the 1960s, you can see the problem.

So, Judith, your bridge may or may not be there and I'd guess that investigation on the ground would be the only way to be certain.

Thanks Colin (and others)

The Forestry Commission Scotland website has one extra level of zoom (1:5,000) and shows no crossing so either it's a very new bridge or a very old, missing bridge. I shall assume that there's nothing there.

hi judith , your basis of desicion is good on the last three posts ( discounting one which says nothing ) if you think a difficulty may arise assess a viable safe outlet which allows you to progress in your best manner ( ie assume no passage as the worst scenario ) . you have said to me in the past , " don't start again " it was not without reason ,and most certainly not aimed at yourself,h enjoy your crossing .

http://canmoremapping.rcahms.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_advanced&idnumlink=12171
Judith,I think the footbridge is long gone.

Thanks for the link Stormin'

Even though it looks like that bridge has gone, I could spend hours playing with the maps on that website!

It's shown on the Routebuddy 1:25k maps,doesn't mean it's there tho.

I can't help with the bridge but I will advise anyone trying to cross the Abhainn Deabhag not to try the ford show at NH275240 in spate or high water. Attempting this could result is a serious case of death!