​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gleann Gaorsaic

Robin
Lovely pic, Phil. I'm looking forward to it already

Eeek! Lovely pic, but....

I've changed my mind several times about my route from Dornie to the Falls of Glomach and now, having seen that photo, I'm firmly moving away from the Glen Elchaig / Allt a Ghlomaich route.

Have a look at JJ's pictures, Judith. Gives a better idea of the path. If the weather is bad, I will go a bit further on and take the (theoretically) easier path from Carnach. If the weather is ok, though, could be a highlight of the Challenge.

Judith, the picture was intended to inspire, not to put you off!

If a stumbling old git like me can negotiate the path, a fit nimble young thing should have no problems.

Phil / Robin

JJ's photos look less scary and - you're right - this could be one of the highlights of this year's crossing. I think I shall plan a Great Weather Alternative, a So-so Weather Alternative and a FWA .... then toss a coin on the day. At least I have plenty of time during the first couple of days as I'm keeping the distances quite short, so I don't need to rush.

Judith
I think I shall plan a Great Weather Alternative, a So-so Weather Alternative and a FWA .... then toss a coin on the day.

Judith -

Can I have a borrow some time of that three-sided coin which you evidently have? I can think of all sorts of situations in which it might com ein very useful ...

Lee, Last year I started from Dornie, following Sue & Ali up the Falls of Glomach approximately 20 minutes behind them. I never saw them again until the Park Hotel.

This was my first trip up the falls, it was a grind, but there were no issues apart from falling over while rock hopping across Ault na Laoidhre half way up. I lost my watch in the fall but it was subsequently found and recovered by another challenger later that day. I continued climbing South West up the path from the top of falls and turned East between Meall Odhar and Meall Dubh to descend into Gleann Gaorsaic. The idea was to get a higher overview of Gleann Gaorsaic up towards Gleann Gniomhaidh; I’m not sure whether the extra 170m climb was worth it. I had to wade across the Abhainn Gaorsaic at about knee deep, as I couldn’t find either a shallow or rocky crossing point.

The terrain on the East side of the Glen is slatherly and slow. In the 3.5k up to Glen Gniomhaidh, I followed both animal and indistinct vehicle tracks for short periods, but mainly it was making my own route cross country, trying to stay high & dry, at about 400m. My feeling is that the route along the East side of Gleann Gaorsaic to Gleann Gniomhaidh is no wetter or worse than what you have will have experienced on the challenge earlier in the day. Enjoy the climb and the slog.

Geoff

Hi Lee

This is what Gleann Gaorsaic looks like from the top of the F.O.G.
It's a wonderful plod, and as Phil says, taken slowly it's a fabulous start to a Challenge.

That does look lovely, Alan.

I'm happy with the Gleann Gaorsaic route South from the Falls but I am concerned about the approach to the falls via Glen Elchaig and Allt a Ghlomaich. I'm possibly going to approach via Bealach na Sroine instead.

Thank you all very much for your responses – it’s a bit overwhelming in fact.

I'm inclined to give my proposed route a go if the weather is favourable but will develop a Plan B, probably Ray’s suggestion which I have been considering already, for bad weather. I will ask the other members of Team Kiwi to read this forum and they may change my mind for me!

As for wet feet you maybe aware that it can get a bit "damp" in NZ as well and we are very used to that situation. Peat Hags will be a new experience for us and we will be introduced to them on day 1 around Loch Cruoshie.

Rob (our leader) and I are leaders for our local tramping club and appreciate your concern about giving advice but please rest assured that we will take full responsibility for any decisions we make. In NZ we have the same outdoor code in that everyone is responsible for their own safety.

Hopefully we may meet some of you on the trail.

Once again many thanks
Lee

Yeah, but I bettcha don't have wild haggis!

JJ

There is another route avoiding the climb up the FOG which I followed in 2013 taking me to the top of the Falls from Dornie. You can follow my trail on Social Hiking:

Aussie Mikes 2013 TGO Challenge

Just zoom in to Dornie and follow the orange path.

I plodded up the east side of the Gleann Gaorsaic the following day. It was mostly untracked and mushy but not too bad compared to other bog hops I have done on the Challenge. The views were awesome and there were several fast running but narrow streams to cross. Most I just hopped over!

If I remember correctly, when I was coming down the hill to the top of the falls, I met Willem coming up!

Cheers,

Mike.

Re alternatives to the FOG route, has anyone tried the route further west, passing Eas Ban and going over Bealach Con? There is of course no bridge over the Elchaig at this point but maybe you could follow the south bank from Camas-luinie and Coille-righ?